Choosing a BIG Cube BBC Street Engine

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

altailites is this something like you have,is your 598 a short deck? Dynoflo makes a 598 short deck Ad #1597657
Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
the Good stuff Dirka ( nos)..two stage Fogger..with a real nice pro-systems Carb....(Good Stuff).....should pump out betweet 200. to 500 hp
Thats all it is?? i thought it was something else. My bad. ops: I does look cool tho. I likey. :P
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

It's called SQUEEEEEEEZE, Dennis ! Like in the WWll fighter aircraft !
Old 10-31-2009, 09:00 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by nofear69
altailites is this something like you have,is your 598 a short deck? Dynoflo makes a 598 short deck Ad #1597657
No sir that motor is a tall deck with 6.800 long rods in it. my only short deck motor was a 540 and dart 360 heads.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
what are the issues with the GM 502 block? I'm sure they are fine for a certain amount of cubes/power...what are there limits?
Tod I never ran the new gm 502 block but my buddy told me the decks are way to thin if you want to spray over 400 hp lol.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
what are the issues with the GM 502 block? I'm sure they are fine for a certain amount of cubes/power...what are there limits?
Todd my last motor was a a 548 in a 502 block. It made 858hp and was a good motor, but the blocks are to thin. Hard to keep cool and not a very sturdy bottom end. They're not a bad low budget build motor, but you cant sell them for much. I was told by several engine builders no more than 950hp on those blocks. I had over 20k in my motor and could only get $6,500 when I sold it.(It was only 1 year old with less than 100 passes. If I could do it again I would rebuild the same motor with a Dart block and could have sold it for a lot more.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

No Fear just remember if your gonna build a practical street motor.Those Huge Heads and radical camshafts are useless as tits on a Bore hog for practical street use.,,,and then trying to ad NOS on top of this for practical purposes is good for nothing but conversation pieces.

the advise i been reading your getting is AWESOME for Race engines...or Racing in a STREET CLASS....but not hardly for something you would load your family in and try to make a 100 mile Journey to the Zoo and back.

Just giving u my opinion from the past.......

start with a good GM (UN-BORed) 10:1 compression block shoot for the 454 to 468 ci...use a set of Bowl blended ( only) bb2 brodix or Afr's 2.25-1.88 valves...700 -720 LIFT range hydraulic roller....port match your intake ( only)..

with right carb this will get you in the 650hp ( maybe little more) hp range...More then enough for the street.....if ya wanna to be a little different...take the extra grand you would have spent on the dart block and buy you a 177 bm low profile blower.....drop compression ratio, change to blower cam, use a cometic head gasket

again just my opinion......orrrrrrrr Build you one of these 1,000 hp engines with all these HAWG parts and call it a street motor and drive it to the end of the street and back twice per year.....lol

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

bjuice your probably right on the 454/468 deal but human nature always cry's for more,right. That's what hot roding is all about. There aren't to many tires around that can put the power to the ground on a street car. That's what makes it fun knowing you have extra juice and to make the wife scream in your ear :lol: Heck they're going to anyway so might as well have fun.
I'm kinda shooting for a weekend worrier as well at the track. Thats where the nitrous and a pare of slicks will come into play. I understand a big cam won't live on the street to well so ya a hyd .700 lift is where it'll be but the bigger cubes will be there. I want it all under a stock hood so as to not attract to much attention.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

I guess when I first started this thread I was concerned about harmonics and ware and tare in a big cube(crank throw,rod length,length of piston). I'm not up on this kind stuff and was wondering how it would live on the street. A 598 short deck just came out not to long ago and wow that sounded like the answer but once a guy started thinking about it would it survive on the street or would it eat itself alive?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nofear69
Thats right I'm not even interested in a GM block. Yes they have their place but in my situation a Dart will be used. I think a Callies is the answer,all US made parts is my goal.
So far
Dart block
Callies rotating with H-beam rods
Pistons: JE or Ross? What else is US made?
Dart heads I guess determined on the cubic inch?

Which callies crank and rods you going to buy ?

Id go with a 454R and not a sniper on the street though, Dart heads alum 355's

Wiseco pistons top my list though, they have been very good pistons for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -