Motor Assembly .... Gaskets ...

Old 05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
offthefront
SHOW GUEST

Default Motor Assembly .... Gaskets ...

I am putting together a BBC motor and need input on Gasket Prep ...Is it best to use "form a gasket" or a product like Perfect Seal ? I am only talking about Fuel Pump , water pump ...carb Gaskets ... Thanks for any input .... OTF
Old 05-11-2007, 05:47 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

I use Gasgacinch on all of those gaskets except for the carb which I leave plain.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I always use spray trim adhesive on all my gaskets except carb gaskets and head gaskets which I use nothing, just lightly spray the gasket and then lightly spray where its going to be and wait a few minutes for it to tack up and then put the gaskets in place the adhesive holds the gaskets firmly in place so you dont have to worry about the gasket(s) shifting around during fitting up and assembly and also when you disassemble there no mess to scrap off either. Save the "permatex" or "form a gasket" for the ends of the intake manifold and the corners of the oil pan. It really makes for a clean motor not having that unsightly permatex oozing out all over the motor, plus it wont be oozing out inside the motor and stopping up your oil pump pick up.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:30 AM
offthefront
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by cepx111
I always use spray trim adhesive on all my gaskets except carb gaskets and head gaskets which I use nothing, just lightly spray the gasket and then lightly spray where its going to be and wait a few minutes for it to tack up and then put the gaskets in place the adhesive holds the gaskets firmly in place so you dont have to worry about the gasket(s) shifting around during fitting up and assembly and also when you disassemble there no mess to scrap off either. Save the "permatex" or "form a gasket" for the ends of the intake manifold and the corners of the oil pan. It really makes for a clean motor not having that unsightly permatex oozing out all over the motor, plus it wont be oozing out inside the motor and stopping up your oil pump pick up.
Great Idea's Guys ... I had thought of a spray on Adehesive ...sounds eazy ....

dcarr511 ... Is the Gasgacinch like an adhesive also ? I think I have seen it at Napa ....?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:20 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by offthefront
dcarr511 ... Is the Gasgacinch like an adhesive also ? I think I have seen it at Napa ....?
Yes it is. A brush on. Actually I think it is Contact Cement
Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

well they do have the old fashion method of the brush and can but the newer way is to get the spray can, they sell it at almost all the big name auto parts shops you'll find it in the same isle they sell permetex and silicon. 3m makes the stuff I use and its not cheap about 15 bucks a can if i can remember , but it doesnt take much and you'll have plenty left over for many other jobs...lol
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

I'm surprised some of those that build engines for a living havent responded wether they use anything or not and if they do .... then what ??
Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 PM
offthefront
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by dcarr511
I'm surprised some of those that build engines for a living havent responded wether they use anything or not and if they do .... then what ??

you lost me on that ....OTF