Need HELP WORKING ON SENSORS ON PT CRUISER

Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

Default Need HELP WORKING ON SENSORS ON PT CRUISER

I am working on a Chrysler PT cruiser .The car runs fine when the computer is reset and the service light is off but when the service light comes on it won't rev past 2500 and acts like it hitting the rev limiter.Turn the service light off and it runs fine again.It is showing these codes P0016- Cam Sensor, P0113-IAT sensor, P0344-Cam position sensor, P0108-Map sensor.The cam position sensor has been replaced but is still showing up.Do you think it could be one of these sensors or would the computer be bad? Where should i start? This is a 2004 model with the 2.4 engine.I forgot to mention the car idles fine.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I can't help you but keep checking back..There is at least one member here that is a DODGE/CHRYSLER tech. If he sees this I'm sure he will offer up some advice. I won't post his name in case he doesn't want involved but he is a regular.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Need HELP WORKING ON SENSORS ON PT CRUISER

Originally Posted by lanham
I am working on a Chrysler PT cruiser .The car runs fine when the computer is reset and the service light is off but when the service light comes on it won't rev past 2500 and acts like it hitting the rev limiter.Turn the service light off and it runs fine again.It is showing these codes P0016- Cam Sensor, P0113-IAT sensor, P0344-Cam position sensor, P0108-Map sensor.The cam position sensor has been replaced but is still showing up.Do you think it could be one of these sensors or would the computer be bad? Where should i start? This is a 2004 model with the 2.4 engine.I forgot to mention the car idles fine.
First your gonna need someone with a scanner(with live data) to verify signal output voltage to the IAT,MAP CAM...All the codes combine indicate a possible short in the wiring.The output of the IAT is prob above 4.9 volts thus setting the code.The map and cam rely on a 5 volt "input" to work "function" with a signal voltage up to 4.9 volts. If theres a short to battery voltage(input side of sensors,or loss of ground,(above 5.0 volts) can cause these codes and go into a limp in mode.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

I ended up changing the (Auto Zone)cam position sensor with an oem one from the Dodge dealership and it still does the same thing but when i checked it with my scanner all the other codes didn't show up only the cam position sensor code showed up.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Replace the computer :!: Ngc controllers can only pickup a engine miss, you have to understand that when a engine misfires the RPM's change that is why it is setting the cam sensor code is because of the rpm change :!: The MAP code is from when the RPM change so does engine vacum so there for Map vacum changes causing this code :!: These engines do not have a IAT sensor [Intake Air Temp]. All NGC controllers has [IAT] built in for different car's. These controllers do not like voltage spikes and i would bet at one time or another someone either boosted from this car with it running or got a jump start to this car :!: I work at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership for 25 years now :!: Need any more help just holler :!: JMO Mark

Watch using after market scanners, Chrysler scanners work off 7 volts, most after market work off 12 volts again you will be sending too much voltage to the controller.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Replace the computer :!: Ngc controllers can only pickup a engine miss, you have to understand that when a engine misfires the RPM's change that is why it is setting the cam sensor code is because of the rpm change :!: The MAP code is from when the RPM change so does engine vacum so there for Map vacum changes causing this code :!: These engines do not have a IAT sensor [Intake Air Temp]. All NGC controllers has [IAT] built in for different car's. These controllers do not like voltage spikes and i would bet at one time or another someone either boosted from this car with it running or got a jump start to this car :!: I work at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership for 25 years now :!: Need any more help just holler :!: JMO Mark

Watch using after market scanners, Chrysler scanners work off 7 volts, most after market work off 12 volts again you will be sending too much voltage to the controller.
Mark are you saying it is a NO NO to jump start these newer cars? If so, what do you do if you find yourself with a dead battery
? Is it best to unhook battery and charge it rather than jump start?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Tod if you need a jump start on your car, Turn the boost car off and start your's off his battery, What happen's and this is for all makes is their car is running charging your battery then you crank yours and it starts now you have two altenators charging your battery for a few seconds the controller just can't handle this voltage before it can shut down the voltage has spiked it. Think about the spark when you remove the cables that is what is going thru the controller. welding archs :!: :!:
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Replace the computer :!: These engines do not have a IAT sensor [Intake Air Temp].

If He relaces the ECM might want to tell him he'll have to have it programed.Also the 2004 I worked on a few weks ago HAD a AIT or IAT in the air inlet right passed the air filter in the tube inlet.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

From my 20 plus years as a tech.Engine misfires usually show up ALSO as codes po300 Random misfire,or po301-304 for specific cylinder misfire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -