TransBrake Problem Need Help

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default TransBrake Problem Need Help

OK, I took it out to the track today. the first run transbrake @ 3600 did good but it seemed to need more so I put a 3800 chip in it did good again but seemed like 4000 would do the trick. BUT it would not release @ 4000 so I went back to 3800 and it would'nt release there either now. when I droped the RPM's Down to 3400 it would grab and run great. what could this be. please help
Andy Byrd
Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

When was the trans last rebuilt? Is the transbrake solenoid operating ok if you engage it without the engine running? It should click fairly loudly.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Will it realse just sitting there with the car not running, hit the button and see if you can hear it realse if not its not the chip issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

When you say it wouldn't release, do you mean when you release the button it just sit's there, or will the transbrake not hold the car at that rpm?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

I'LL Answer all replys, it's a powerglide in a 2500 # car w/665 H/P 514 gear and I don't know how old it is. its probly got 4 seasons on it. it does not slip in anyway it shifts perfect. Ive been foot braking with no problems.
now the chip part is working fine when I change chips and hold the button down it runs up to what ever rpm chip I put in it,

now the silinoid is clicking in and out when I hit the button and it dosnt seem to be sticking.
to me it seems like when i have to much RPM it want release when the rpm is low it releases no problem.

when I release the butten at high rpm 4000 it just sets there at 4000 it releases and jumps off when I let the RPM down.
Thanks Andy
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Check and make sure it's not in your microswitch itself. I just had this problem with my new transbrake switch. Would set the transbrake but wouldn't release. It was a bad solder in the switch itself. Disconnect your wires coming from your transbrake switch and test with an ohm meter. Wiggle the wires while checking and see if it changes. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

I have a new switch I'm gonna hook it up. but just a thought here. could the solenoid spring be weak and not releasing under to much fluid pressure. and also can I take the valve body out and clean it up good, maybe something is just sticking, I don't know all this transbrake stuff is all new to me. but it sure felt better than the foot brake so I'm gonna try and fix it. I just don't want to spend any unnessasary Money if possible so I could sure use all yalls help on this.
Thanks Andy
Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

So it stays on the 2-step and doesn't release at higher rpm. Maybe something's backfeeding into the trans brake circuit. Maybe that diode was someone's answer to the problem........could be a ground problem. Definately strange
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
onedragracer
JUNIOR BUILDER

Are you running a delay box of any kind. You might have accidentally rolled some numbers in it. That would explain why its not releasing.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Trace your trans brake wire. I bet its tied into a RPM actived switch, either in the delay box, MSD box, or 2 step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -