Super Victor or Dart SBC 23 Degree Intake?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Does anyone have any pictures of the plenum area after it has been reworked,what needs attention and how do you do it.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Does anyone have any pictures of the plenum area after it has been reworked,what needs attention and how do you do it.

This link has some photos of the plenum area on a Super Victor 2925 that Chad in Kansas has reworked.

http://1320techtalk.com/viewtopic.ph...t=super+victor

Also, Lloyd Elliott at Red Oak, Texas "Elliott's Portworks" (a close friend of mine) also does these intakes. I believe Chad and Lloyd know each other and swap porting and flow information.

I've done some intake port-matching myself, which turned-out really good (I have some of the various length porting arbors, burs and sanding rolls). But I've never tried to clean-out and smooth-up the plenum area. It looks like it would be really hard to get down in there on the floor of the plenum.

Warren
Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Warren, I think you must have done some good port matching. You don't run the ETs you are if the porting was junk. :shock: :shock:

Curtis
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by doorracer
Warren, I think you must have done some good port matching. You don't run the ETs you are if the porting was junk. :shock: :shock:

Curtis
Curtis,

After my port-matching job and after the intake was installed, I looked down the runners on the Wheeler and every intake port appeared to match-up perfectly with my Dart Pro-1 head ports. The FelPro 1206 gasket was also perfectly aligned on each port and didn't protrude into any of the runners.

I think there was both some luck and skill involved with the results. But, I've always had those second-thoughts about the Wheeler and that I could have used a better intake (Victor or Dart).

Warren
Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Because port matching an intake was talked about I'll say how I do it.Put the gasket on the head that matches the port and hold it in place with masking tape on the top toward the valve cover,put a couple dabs of rtv on the top side of the gasket where the intake will set,put the intake on with the bolt holes on the intake centered on the bolt holes in the head.put a few bolts in snug,let the rtv set up,remove the tape and intake, the gasket will stay on the intake and show where to port match.Bill.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wmeabates
Because port matching an intake was talked about I'll say how I do it.Put the gasket on the head that matches the port and hold it in place with masking tape on the top toward the valve cover,put a couple dabs of rtv on the top side of the gasket where the intake will set,put the intake on with the bolt holes on the intake centered on the bolt holes in the head.put a few bolts in snug,let the rtv set up,remove the tape and intake, the gasket will stay on the intake and show where to port match.Bill.
\
Thats some good advise right there^^^^
Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks CP,That way helps when matching a dual plane you can't see into,but you have to use marks on the head and intake before removing it so you can get it back on in the same location front to back.Bill.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Here are some before and after photos of the port-matching I did on my Wheeler intake manifold. They were lined-up and matched to a FelPro 1206 gasket. The Wheeler ports were both undersize and off-set, which I corrected the the port-matching. I also smoothed-out my die grinder work with sanding rolls, but forgot to take photos of the finish work. Which actually looked good for a rookie porter like me.

Warren

http://gi77.photobucket.com/groups/j...g?t=1271266872

http://gi77.photobucket.com/groups/j...g?t=1271267717