Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link pictures

how do attach photos
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

You have to put them on an photosharing website. i use photobucket. Then you would have ot take the url for ht epic from there and copy and paste it on here.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default four link

http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/a... this is right
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Here ya go man......

Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default four links

hey, thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 01:52 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Default IC

Those are good measurements and an excellent picture to let us see your setup. When I do the calculations, your IC is actually about 61" out and about 8 1/4" up. The IC is the intersect point of the two bars if you continue them both out in a straight line forward. So that along with having the bars in the holes closest to the rear end housing is what is causing your less than favorable 60fts.

If you move the top bar up 1 hole in the rear that would move your IC to about 49" and about 8 3/4" up. But it would be best if you could also lower the rear of the car down about 1 1/2" to 2" and then move the bottom bar down one hole at the rear end housing. This would move the IC out to about 43", but would give a little bit more leverage from the rear end housing onto the chassis.

That would be the adjustments that I would do first and if I wanted to move the IC back out to about 49", I would then move the top bar up one hole in the front.

Bill Mitchell
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link

Now that I have your idea of plotting on the floor, I tried it and come close to your measurments. Mine were 8.250 up and intersect at 65. Now I wonder if my cg is at 63 inches from center of rear axel, where does this come in to the equation when trying to establish the point of the intersect and the height off the floor that one would want. I see numbers of 49 or 43 or46 etc, in some different things I read, also when finding my current intersect of about 61 to 65 it looks like I am reaching to far forward, so what is this probably making my camaro do that it shouldnt . thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Yes, your IC is out way too far for the HP that the car is making at this time. Also, the spread at the rear of the 4-link bars is too close. One way to think about this, is try to lift a sledgehammer out horizontal with your elbows together vs with your elbows apart. When your elbows are farther apart, you can put more leverage on the handle to raise the head. Now lengthen where your grip is at on the handle and shorten where your grip is at. When you get closer to the head of the sledgehammer, you can lift it easier. This is similar forces that the rear end is trying to transmit through the IC.

The CG of the car is at 63" forward (as you balanced) and is roughly located at about the height of the camshaft. If you plot from this point to the bottom of your rear slicks this is your squat/anti-squat line. If when you plot out your IC from the rear end and it falls below this line, the car body will try to squat down over the rear tires. If the IC falls on this line, then the car will not try to squat or raise in the rear. If the IC is above this line, then the car will raise up in the rear. I have my car set up to squat a little in the rear, so the IC is below the squat/anti-squat line.

I use this for an initial start, but I really adjust to what the car wants. Every car is different, so you will have to adjust on the bars and the shock settings, and even possibly the springs. The rear springs only need to be stout enough to hold your car up to the correct height on your shocks. My shocks are supposed to be set to a compressed ride height of about 14.5". So you adjust the spanners on the coil springs to get to this height and then you adjust the shock mounts to get the ride height on the car. This allows for the shock to be close to the middle of its range to allow for compression and rebound.

JMO
Bill Mitchell
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link

Im finally learning what some of the mechanics are , when toying with the 4 link. I thankyou for the time you spent helping me. I live in ND. so wont be able to try this untill the end of may. I will make the adjustments and give it a whirl. Bill, thanks again. Eric