Looking for a new ride!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Nice looking Ride Bone !...you gonna break down and do the 5 or 6 speed when you convert the tranny ? I am glad to hear you struck that Deal !

not to skip subjects but I am Knee deep in My 6 speed conversion....got the bell housing off and found a crack in it.. :cry:

having the drive shaft shortened 2 inches, took out the center force clutch and replaced it with a Ram, having the plate resurfaced...went with a New long shifter and Of course a Richmond 6 speed tranny.

Here is the pleasent surprise. I thought the car was going to have a 3.73 gear in it and I was prepared to change it to a higher gear to have the best of Both Worlds with the 6th speed..So when I pulled the rear end apart I immediatley saw it had a after market richmond gear...counted up the teeth and someone put a 3.08 back in it with a P/T unit that looked brand New YES !!!!! that saved me that expense because my plans where to replace the 3.73 with a 3.08.

another good thing is it has a 10 bolt rear end but its a 8.5 carrier which is just as strong as a 12 bolt...THE car will never have any slicks on it trying to make dead hook passes at the track...the most I could ever see is a set of radials and a mild pass just to have Fun.

Now the Next step is to send off the carb to APD and have them convert the CARB to Run E-85....Several local Spinx gas stations carry the E-85 and its about .50 cents cheaper on the gallon then 93....I know it burns Quicker ( This stuff is Alcohols twin sister ) and with it being 105 octane I can afford to angle Mill the heads a little and run a little more compression whenever I freshen up the engine.

I want to say its most likley 10:1 right now..I'd say taking it 12:1 running e-85 would be some decent gains in HP and TQ

But back to you Harb.,..give us some more shots when you get the car home...and congrats My man...I LUV IT ALREADY IN THE PICS YOU POSTED. Also I plan on the shorter spoiler and split bumper myself...thats a killer look on any 70 to 73 camaro IMO..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Congrats chris on another top grade first class score!! 8)
Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Dont know what I'm gonna do with her yet Bjuice. I am sitting here chewing off all my fingernails waiting for it to arrive on a trailer! Looking at about an hour and a half till it gets here. Feels like I am waiting to get married for the first time! :lol:

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What a find, Bone !
You'll know that everythings been done correct !
Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

congrats i knew of one other but your a friend and i seen first hand how body was done and couldnt do it to ya brother
Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Nice find. Looks like you'll be having a blast driving it. Doesn't look like you have to do to much to it. What am I saying everybody changes stuff. :lol:
Great find and owned by somebody you can trust.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like a sweet ride. 8)
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Well the new ride is home and I spent about 6 hours last night going over the car top to bottom. Brian said he bought it 3 years ago out of Grand Rapids Michigan, his home town. When he bought the car it had a small block and a 4-speed. He thought it lacked power so he bought a 454 rotating assembly from a friend, got some 781 big block heads, all new stainless valves and some new springs, rockers and hardware. Stuck a shop prepped Turbo 400 behind it and took it to some car shows and the track a few times. Had a bunch of timeslips running anywhere between a 12.03 to 12.20's. The car is geared with a 3:08 so she would easily be in the 11's with different gearing. He hadnt driven it much this year (to busy winning a Top Fuel championship for Del Worsham I quess!) so the wife told him to sell it. Looks like somebody tore this car all apart about 10-15 years ago, installed a 1 piece floorpan, painted the car properly. I can find very minumal filler at the bottom of one of the doors and at the top of a wheel well. Powder coated the subframe and all the front suspension and put it all back together. The interior is tired but thats gravy work. The paint looks great and it is a super bright Hugger Orange. Brian custom built the exhaust after installing the big block and its a work of art! He obliged my wife and signed the bottom of the trunk deck for me and said to keep in touch. It was the coolest thing to happen to me this year and I think he was kind of humbled that the wife and I knew so much about him and the NHRA. I am going to restore the warped dash and inoperative cluster. Recover the seats and some misc interior trim. The under hood is perfect and he did a great job on the install of tucking everything away nice and clean. Now when he bought the car it had a "By Berger" dealer emblem on the rear panel and a Berger Performance sticker on the bottom of the hood. Might have to check with them to see if they have any history on the car. The paint has a scratch on the left fender that he did when reinstalling the hood and a small crack above a wheel well that looks like a tire rubbed, beside that its gorgeous! The bottom of the steel cowl hood, door jambs, inner trunk deck and everything was done very nice.

I am going to remove the Z28 emblem from the grille since its not a true Z. Put the full bumper on the front since I dont think it looks right without the proper parklamps and urethane nose. Finish running a set of tailpipes out the back. Ditch the airshocks. Get all that done and I will be ready for some cruising in the spring. Merry Christmas to me!!! [/img]

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default camaro

Bone
Nice a.. car, like the history ,a set of gears would help out, but that is still very fast as is ! good luck. Isn't this stuff (playing with cars) cool !!!!!!!!!
Merry Xmas
Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Looks sweet Chris. 8) Yeah Berger is or was the Nickey Chevrolet of Michigan back in the day. Hopefully there is someone that works there that is into this stuff and can help you out with some history on the car.
Good luck and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -