King Bearing - lack of professional help for quality control problem

Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default King Bearing - lack of professional help for quality control problem

To freshen up my 608 BBC, I had to turn the 2.10 rod journals .010 but after measuring, the .011 is what I needed. I purchased the best main and rod bearings that King makes (XP series). My unopened package included the following:
8 each .011 uppers
7 each .011 lowers
1 each .030 lower.
I contacted King and they said they could not send me a half shell or bearing pair. They said send it back to the supplier. Having been thru this before, I was pretty sure they would tell me to contact the manufacturer. I ask Mike if they could do anything.His final response is as follows;

Hey Dave,

Kings return policy does not work like that. We are not refusing to fix your problem. You need to follow the popper channels for us to be able to fix this.

The end user, “you” has to return the bearing from where they were purchased.

We treat every customer the same and every return the same.

I cannot just go pull a single shell out of a complete set without any type of purchase information from us. You did not purchase the bearings from us you purchased them from Performance parts.

Performance parts will not tell you to contact us because it is there responsibility to assist the customer in an error situation.

If they cannot fulfil the request of providing you with a new complete set, then performance parts will contact us for a return authorization and to fix there issue.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Once again we apologize for this experience but to be able to resolve the issue the proper steps must be taken.

Best regards,
Michael A. MacLachlan

I pulled all the bearings out and threw them away ($115). I purchased Clevite H series to complete my lower end. Do not buy King bearings. Their standard operating procedure might get in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
King Brg.jpg (96.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Wow, talk about horrible customer service! All it would take was 5 minutes to solve your problem and make you a happy customer!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

. You did not purchase the bearings from us you purchased them from Performance parts.

I sort of have to agree with them though...

I understand that the wrong parts were sent, (been there, I sympathize) but King did not sell them to you.

I know if I sell something to someone, I wouldn't warranty it for someone else...
Old 10-07-2016, 11:41 AM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

i see both sides, but you did not purchase from them, i also would not warranty a part you purchased from a dealer.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:53 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

The manufacturer is the manufacturer and proof of purchase from a stocking distributor should suffice.

When I are in the midst of a lower end assembly, I do not have the time to unassembled what I have done, call the "supplier", wait for a RMA, ship the goods back for examination, and wait for reshipment.
What a week or better?

They should be embarrassed for a quality error of this kind(or disgruntled employee action) and fixed it. Period - end of problem.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:05 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

I would have sent them back thru their procedure and just purchased another set of bearings to get you thru that build. When the replacement King bearings came back from the supplier, you could have put them on the shelf for future use or advertised them on Racing Junk classified to get your money back. It would have saved you $100 to do it that way in the long run.