Engine Rebuilding

Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Engine Rebuilding

I was wondering how many guys rebuild / refresh their own racing engines?
I have rebuilt engines in the past and all has went well. But now I have a 950 HP BBC and was wondering if can do the work myself (except the machining, of course).
Old 09-30-2009, 04:19 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Engine Rebuilding

Originally Posted by kod99
I have rebuilt engines in the past and all has went well. But now I have a 950 HP BBC and was wondering if can do the work myself (except the machining, of course).
My dad and I used to do all ours, sense going big inch high dollar I went to someone else, to much money into it for us to screw it up. for what it cost me it dont cost me much more to have Nyes do mine
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

I agree with hammer. i hate sendin my motors out and do all mine myslef but mine are nothing like what you guys run. if i had that much money into one i would sent it out to help avoid any little screw ups.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I got screwed back in 1990 by a guy who did a SBC for me. Dumb ass didn't tighten down a rod nut properly, and it came off during a pass. Found the nut, with threads perfect, down in the pan.

Of course, since it was a 'race' motor, he exempted himself from any liability. Thankfully, his old ass is now pushing up daisies.

Never let anyone else touch any motors of mine from then on out.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
My dad and I used to do all ours, sense going big inch high dollar I went to someone else, to much money into it for us to screw it up. for what it cost me it dont cost me much more to have Nyes do mine
I was leaning the same way David, for the same reasons. Only trouble is I am up in Canada. Who does a guy take it to? Everyone you talk to in the pits says a different guy is best. I've had a dozen recommendations and no two are the same. Does that mean they are all good? It's a tough decision. I could have someone else do it and it could still blow up on the first pass. I'm leaning toward a guy recommended to me by a friend who races. This guys runs it on the dyno when he is done and takes the time to get it setup right.
What are you guys paying for a refresh (bearings, rings, valve springs, etc)?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
I was leaning the same way David, for the same reasons. Only trouble is I am up in Canada. Who does a guy take it to? Everyone you talk to in the pits says a different guy is best. I've had a dozen recommendations and no two are the same. Does that mean they are all good? It's a tough decision. I could have someone else do it and it could still blow up on the first pass. I'm leaning toward a guy recommended to me by a friend who races. This guys runs it on the dyno when he is done and takes the time to get it setup right.
What are you guys paying for a refresh (bearings, rings, valve springs, etc)?
The who is what you have to choice for yourself, call the shops and get a round about price to start out with then go look at them if they are easy driving distance, some motor shops I have walked into and turned right around dirty !!!

When I freshen, rings, bearings, lifters, springs, timing chain, valve job, depending on how old the rods are sometimes they get new rod bolts. then a dyno session before it goes home. With all my stuff on the motor and not the engine shops stuff.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I've always built my own engines, but have the machining done outside, but i have all the checking/measuring equipment to check anything the machine shop does. I think if you don't have the checking equipment or the knowledge to check the machine work and the clearances, then you should let someone build the engine who does. The only thing i can't check is the balancing, and crank index.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I've always built my own engines, but have the machining done outside, but i have all the checking/measuring equipment to check anything the machine shop does. I think if you don't have the checking equipment or the knowledge to check the machine work and the clearances, then you should let someone build the engine who does. The only thing i can't check is the balancing, and crank index.

JMO

Zip.

DITTO here....
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i will assemble a no HP dailey Driver Motor.....but i ain't gonna try and pack that stuff in on this High Dollar 1400hp Big chief stUFF....ETC....you talking about 500 to 700 assembly fee....and when you got over 20k or more in a Bullet.......do the math...... :roll: .

If you don't think there is A difference in a mechanically inclined weekend warrior putting the motor together compared To the likes of a Gene Fulton...think again......and i do not mean just a Hp thing...i mean the longevity of the motor....protect your investment !!!!

JMO

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
i will assemble a no HP dailey Driver Motor.....but i ain't gonna try and pack that stuff in on this High Dollar 1400hp Big chief stUFF....ETC....you talking about 500 to 700 assembly fee....and when you got over 20k or more in a Bullet.......do the math...... :roll: .

If you don't think there is A difference in a mechanically inclined weekend warrior putting the motor together compared To the likes of a Gene Fulton...think again......and i do not mean just a Hp thing...i mean the longevity of the motor....protect your investment !!!!

JMO
Well, hate to tell ya, but this weekend warrior has only had 3 motors in 18 years...

454 - Over revvd due to loose converter and floated the valves.

505 - Too lean and too much timing, banged the blower, bent an Oliver rod, and cracked #5 cylinder wall.

568 - 6 passes on it... still perfect.

I guess it comes down to knowing how measure properly, knowing what the clearances should be in the first place, and having the proper tools to do the job correctly.

Anyone can make a mistake, even Fulton, Oddy, Reher Morrison, Sonny Leonard, etc etc etc... I'd sooner have it be my fault if the assembly is incorrect than someone else who I paid to do it and then says "Well, it's a race motor".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -