Milky oil and alcohol

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Go into the box at 160 with water pump on and at the trailer at 175. Get me some pics of the suction side of the pump to the cell,when your getting the others. There is a reason it wants all the fuel and its not because it makes power to use it all. Additional fuel may cause more issues internally, this stuffs simple and your combo isn't unlike 100s of other's just like it that require less fuel and run faster. A fuel restriction or sucking air on the suction could cause it to want more then needed.

Your nozzels, do you have brass filters or foam style? And do you have the o-ring on bottom or top of filter?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:02 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Dave is correct. There is way too much fuel going into this motor. There is no way the motor is burning what you are putting thru it. This is going to cause issues in the cylinders and start filing the pan with alky. I am curious what comes out when you drain the oil. You need to be able to hit the water at 160-170 degrees and gain about 10 degrees going down track, no more than the 15 Dave mentioned by the time you hit the trailer.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Go into the box at 160 with water pump on and at the trailer at 175. Get me some pics of the suction side of the pump to the cell,when your getting the others. There is a reason it wants all the fuel and its not because it makes power to use it all. Additional fuel may cause more issues internally, this stuffs simple and your combo isn't unlike 100s of other's just like it that require less fuel and run faster. A fuel restriction or sucking air on the suction could cause it to want more then needed.

Your nozzles, do you have brass filters or foam style? And do you have the o-ring on bottom or top of filter?
I'll get some pics when I get home on Friday and post them.
I have the foam type filters on the injector nozzles.

When I topped off the tank after the last run, it took 2 gallons. That's about what the engine brurned in the staging lanes, during the run and back to the trailer. That's about what I was burning per run with my 565 engine with a carb.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by shawnp
Dave is correct. There is way too much fuel going into this motor. There is no way the motor is burning what you are putting thru it. This is going to cause issues in the cylinders and start filing the pan with alky. I am curious what comes out when you drain the oil. You need to be able to hit the water at 160-170 degrees and gain about 10 degrees going down track, no more than the 15 Dave mentioned by the time you hit the trailer.
I changed the oil at the track after the first run on Sunday. There was no methanol in the oil. It was clean with no milking.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 AM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

Are you running a filter between the pump and the barrel valve?

Who flowed the pump? Did you only get one flow number?

Which vacuum pump are you running? I've run a 3 vane enhanced on a 632 without issue.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

How many runs did you have on it before changing the oil? Put a solid weekend on it where you get several heat cycles on the motor. 2 gallons is a little much. When we ran injection even with a fat tune up it was just over a gallon no more than 1.5 gallons max. On the carb it is right at a gallon per run.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kod99
Originally Posted by hammertime

Your nozzles, do you have brass filters or foam style? And do you have the o-ring on bottom or top of filter?
I'll get some pics when I get home on Friday and post them.
I have the foam type filters on the injector nozzles.

When I topped off the tank after the last run, it took 2 gallons. That's about what the engine brurned in the staging lanes, during the run and back to the trailer. That's about what I was burning per run with my 565 engine with a carb.
Great look forward to seeing them.

On the foam type filters, do you have it from bottom upward... filter,oring, cover ? Just something I've heard of people doing and it messing up things pretty good.

I use 1 1/4 gallon of alky a run. Check the amount of oil, if its real warm sometimes you can not see a lot of alky in oil. A lot of fuel could account for the internal pressure issues.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

I tore the vac pump apart last night and it was full of oil. What a freaking mess! The vanes would hardly move in their slots. I cleaned the system completely with brake clean and everything is free and working.
I changed the vac pump suction from the front of the valve cover to the breather on the top, hoping this will help stop the oil problem.

I viewed video of the three runs I made last week and the oil spray looked like it was happening after the stripe when I started to slow down.

I am going to start tomorrow with 39 nozzles and 82 main pill and see what happens. I am tired of cleaning oil off of everything!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Updates?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by shawnp
Updates?
Sorry I am a little late with updates.

2 runs Sunday at 90 degrees F and 6000' DA.

Run #1
Nozzles: 39
Pill: 90

Left on the foot brake so ET was not great. 8.43

Sprayed oil out of vacuum pump breather again.
Changed oil after run. Very milky. Far worse than with the 41 nozzles and 88 pill.

Run #2
Nozzles: 39
Pill: 95

Car ran 8.20

Sprayed oil out of vacuum pump breather again.

Drained breather - oil was still very milky. I had to cut the top off of a water bottle to drain the breather. The knife was very sharp. I did contemplate cutting my wrists! LOL

One more race weekend coming up Sept 2 - 4.
I am thinking of putting on a crab and switching to gas for that weekend and see if there are any issues with oil spray.

I don't know how much leaner I should go on the methanol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -