Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

I have currently mounted the Edlebrock Performers on my sbc.After this upgrade about 2 weeks ago I am running a 160 thermo.I have not had a prob as of yet.There is much debate on what temp thermo should be ran on a street aluminum head.That a 160 will not let the engine reach its operating temp and cause the engine to have a short life.A fellow racer advised me to run a 160.
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.
I had my engine rebuilt when I had the heads mounted.I just want to make sure not to crack a head or blow a head gasket or even worst.

Any input is welcomed.Thanks..
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

Originally Posted by cbtlr
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by cepx111

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?
Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?
Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!
What neck of the woods you come from phuckstick?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....
Bonafied your ass fist phucker..
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Neck of the woods?
You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Neck of the woods?
You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol
I learned from the best ass clown..You'er not too shabby yourself..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -