WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE FOR A STREET CAR

Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
mtalp
APPRENTICE

Default WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE FOR A STREET CAR

TO ALL THAT CAN LEND SOME ADVICE , I have a 67 camaro that is back halved with 31x16.5 x15 mickey thompson pros the car weight is 3710 with me in it. The engine is a 540 that runs on pump gas with a turbo 400 manual valve body 3800 stall with a 4,10 gear no trans brake. The mickeys are okay if i feather the throttle then let it go [14 LBS PSI] . Is there a good street / strip tire or am i stuck buying slicks also are tubes required or is this just salesman ship 101 thankyou to all that can help
Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
DeadlyEmbrace
APPRENTICE

Donot know how much ya willing to go to get good street tires , meaning a local shop where I live has street tires bet the farm they hold . Has all tread rubber very soft . You can ball the tire up with ya hands before you place them on rim . They cost $250 for two 8 inch wide , $300 for 10 inch . Shop owner died few months ago (Billy West) miss him as well , but his wife still sells from there . Meaning if you can find an old drag racer that had tires made with that soft rubber , to me they are better than M/T drag radials
Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I used to run M&H Racemasters. They are almost a slick. I have no experience with the more modern tires that are out now.