Wiping a cam lobe

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Never had a cam issue, always run half rotella, half conventonial oil
Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have not used a flat tappet since around 1997...but when I used them in the past I never ever even allowed them to break in properly(fast idle 20 minutes) and I have never lost a lobe. I never used light springs either to break in...just used the ones for the cam I had.I always fired them up and held the rpm up just enough to keep it running a little fast until it warmed up enough to idle. Must be just lucky. Either that or it is the oil??? :?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

I would not use anything othere then a roller set up now. It cost a lot more but its money well spent to keep that from happening.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Agreed. Nearest I can tell, this latest motor was a a crate motor w/ a flat tappet cam/pusrod slammer. Sad... it was fresh & he was all excited about driving the ol coupe.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:03 AM
murrayjest
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I never used light springs either to break in...just used the ones for the cam I had.I always fired them up and held the rpm up just enough to keep it running a little fast until it warmed up enough to idle. Must be just lucky. Either that or it is the oil??? :?

Last edited by murrayjest; 08-25-2022 at 04:38 AM.