Fuel Pump Help Needed

Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

Default Fuel Pump Help Needed

What fuel pump should I run with my BBC Big Chief 615 with 3 stages of nitrous. I was looking at the Magnafuel 500 with the filter. If I run this kit how should I do my lines, returns, and sizes? I was thinking a return at the pump (would I also need one at the regulators) and do I need to put an inline carb jet in the return? Will #12 from cell to the pump and the #12 to a "Y" with one #10 going to my 3 regulator fuel rail for the nitrous and the other side of the "Y" a #10 to the carb regulator? Please post pics of your setups and pics of the fuel cell setup if possible. Who makes a nice fuel cell bracket that I can also mount the fuel pump too. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Travis
www.s10dragracer.com
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Fuel Pump Help Needed

Originally Posted by s10dragracer
What fuel pump should I run with my BBC Big Chief 615 with 3 stages of nitrous. I was looking at the Magnafuel 500 with the filter. If I run this kit how should I do my lines, returns, and sizes? I was thinking a return at the pump (would I also need one at the regulators) and do I need to put an inline carb jet in the return? Will #12 from cell to the pump and the #12 to a "Y" with one #10 going to my 3 regulator fuel rail for the nitrous and the other side of the "Y" a #10 to the carb regulator? Please post pics of your setups and pics of the fuel cell setup if possible. Who makes a nice fuel cell bracket that I can also mount the fuel pump too. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Travis
www.s10dragracer.com

Magna fuel 500 is a good pump. Return lines #8, -10 to fuel pump -8 to nitrous and -8 to carb is big enough.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:02 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

travis i would stay away from any tee or "y" as they are sometimes called.
i run a Magnafuel prostar 500 pump..here is how i set up my system..

#12 line from tank to pump, #10 line from pump to 4-port barry grant regulator..mounted the 4 port regulator on the intake in front of the carbs and ran #8 lines to carbs form the REGULATED 4 Ports,,,the 4 port regualtor has a FREE FLOW UN-REGULATED port that you will run the NOS thru...NEVER REGULATE A LINE FROM A PORT THAT IS ALREADY REGULATED.....thats why they have the free flow port on these 4 port regualtors

The cheap little holley silver regualtors is all you need for the nos gas selenoids..there are many ways to plumb the 3+ stage..to start with your going to bring the NOS feed off the UN-REGUALTED PORT off the 4 port regualtor....they make a fuel log type set up for 3 stages plus....basically the regulators sit side by side on the UN-REGUALTED log...then you can plumb off each regualtor to the GAS SELENOID YOU choose...

i will go ahead and say this..wet flow each regualtor under WOT conditions..all ya gotta do is get you a 3/8 gas rubber hose with the correct size female AN fitting for the regualtors you have ( A #6 female A/N push lock works good here)..then on the other end of the hose push in your NOS GAS PILL and place a small circle clamp around the hose holding the Pill in place...get you a small pail i used a bathroom garbage can...point the end of the hose with the gas pill in the can and have someone press the button to activate your gas selenoid for the stage you are testing...watch your fuel pressure gage on that regulator and see where the fuel pressure drops and adjust from there...once you have it where you want it..then take out the fuel gage and go to the next regualtor..

i have seen too many people say they flow their systems and come to find out they had it dead headed..do not make this mistake..its not a true reading..most of the time there is a minimum of a 1lb difference if not more from dead head to WOT..
hope this helps.

Oh yes...you will need only one return line from the fuel pump to the fuel cell...#8...i would also make my vent valve a #8 instead of the factory #6 most off the shelf fuel cells come with..you are also going to have to buy you a #12 male fitting to bring out of the tank to pump...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

I appreciate that. That is a big help. Since I only have a single 1450 carb will I need the 4 port regulator or do I just block 2 ports off?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

get the 4 port regulator...and you can do it several ways...#1 use the extra two ports for Nos..since its an already regualted port..DO NOT REGUALTE AGAIN...anything you plumb off the free flow port must be regulated again..

i would just block the extra two ports and go with the NOS selenoid fuel log and plumb from the free flow port...

Brian

Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

Default Flow

Everykit requires different fuel pressure because of the size of the nitrous hit so what would I do in this case?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

thats ok..your fuel pump will make enough psi to handle your motor and 3 stages...connect your carb to the two outlets out of your 4 port regulator set your fuel pressure and block off the remaining two ports...

then connect your fuel rail to the free flowing port of the 4 port regulator...the fuel rail will have free flow to every port on the fuel rail until you regulate it down with the holley silver regualtors....so you can have different fuel pressures for each port/regualtor..this is why there is a free flowing port on the main 4 port regualtor...

since your going with Magnafuel (good choice)...i would recommend going with their billet 3 way fuel log..part # mp-7600-03.
you will see where the ports on top will hold 3 different regualtors for the 3 stages..all can be independently adjusted on the fuel pressure for whatever you need...all ya gott remember is plumb the fuel rail from the free flowing port off the main regulator..

see link below
http://www.magnafuel.com/products/ac...ries/index.htm

OR scratch the 4 port regualtor all together ..and go with a 4 port fuel rail..and get yourself 4 holley silver regulators..1 for carb and 3 for different stages......like i said their are numerous ways to do this..the only reason i suggested the 4 port regulator to begin with is because i just ran one stage NOS system on my car...and didn't need the fuel rail...

Good luck,

Brian

Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

Default Thanks

You have been a great help on this and I appreciate it. Do you have a link to their 4 port fuel rail? I tried finding it and couldn't.
Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i didn't see the 4 port but i believe they carry them..if not others carry them....i also sent you a link on a pm..a picture says 1,000 words.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

Default Fuel Log

Here is how I have 3 of the regulators right now on a fuel log but will need a forth and will have to trun it sideways. Will it be ok to turn the fuel log sideways to be able to fit a 4th one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -