What converter are you running

Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Hughes 9" 5600 stall behind 540BBC.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I run a transmission specialties converter that started out as a TCI. I sent it to TSI and they upped the stall to 5800 from 5500 and my car picked up .2 in the quarter.

I had a hughes spragless that was 6000 stall and was .3 slower than my faithful TSI converter. I tried a buddy TCI 5400 stall off the shelf and slowed down .15.

I guess my best suggestion is to have one built exactly for your application, it does make a difference.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I yanked out the ATI and put in an all aluminum Neal Chance bolt together deal. My 60 foots went from 1.17 to 1.06. Quarter mile went from 7.0 to 6.8

It was real expensive but a beautiful piece of machining work. Being able to dismantle it and clean it, adjust the stall etc has been great.

Marty Chance is a great guy and willing to give good advice.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
bigmack
JUNIOR BUILDER

whatever you do don't buy a redneck performance converter had a friend talk me into getting one ran ok the first 7 passes but on the 8th pass i was doing my burn out and it let go just stop pulling, i call them and told the guy what happen and he tells me to send it back with 150 dollars and paid for parts. i told him to go to hell and i got a ptc converter and no more problems and picked up .3 on et.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
fast67chevelle
SHOW GUEST

I have used PTC for several years, happy with the converter and the service. A job transfer took me to Wichita, Kansas. Neal Chance's shop is right here, so when the converter needed to be freshened, I decided to give them a shot. I spoke directly with Marty Chance, and after looking at all the car and motor specs, the only change he wanted to make was going to a billet stator, and a small stall adjustment.

Performance wise, the car picked up a couple of hundredths in both 60 feet and on the big end. The rpm dropped off two hundred less between shifts. The biggest difference I noticed was in temperature. The updates Marty recommended yielded about a 20 degree drop in attained temperature during the run. I don't really know if that's good or bad, but I like it. I haven't changed anything else, but having the shop so close and actually being able to visit and talk directly with someone is great.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Our Abruzzi was good for a solid .10 over Hughes and about .13 over a local company we had been using.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Our Abruzzi was good for a solid .10 over Hughes and about .13 over a local company we had been using.
I am wanting to try a Abruzzi converter more now

Honestly I've found that fast and consistent sometimes can be hard to find in a converter. My TSI spragless is very good et wise but is a bit aggressive which causes it to be a little be less consistent as my Coan spragless but my Coan is a touch slower
Old 02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Dave,
If I am not mistaken, I think Lynch picked up .12 or .13 with his switch. Marco will be the 1st one to tell you, hitting the combo for a car that is making that 1000hp range is a challenge.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Dave,
If I am not mistaken, I think Lynch picked up .12 or .13 with his switch. Marco will be the 1st one to tell you, hitting the combo for a car that is making that 1000hp range is a challenge.
He did tell me that, I called to order one earlier in the year. His #'s stall wise scared me away at that point. Maybe he has a better handle on things now.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I have a Chance 10" nitrous converter, but that's because it's what was in the car when I got it........It's going back to Marty for a freshen up and reconfigure so it's right for my new motor when it goes on the car........Marty is great to talk too as well, sent him an email about it and he called me to talk about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -