Justice Dept. memo says gun confiscation necessary!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
ken0069
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by Swiley383
I have what I need to start out loading but Iam having trouble getting the primers seated correctly. sounds like some of you have experience any advice? I have the manual and have done all adjustments for the primer seat just dose not seat far enough into the primer pocket.
Dunno about the equipment you're using so I can't give ya any suggestions.

FYI I use an old Lee Turret Press that I've had since back in the early 1980s and I've never had any issues with primers seating??

One thing to check on though is to make sure that there's no carbon build up in the primer pocket. They make a special brush to clean that area if the tumbler doesn't get it all out. Maybe someone else is familiar with that press setup and can offer some advice.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I have wondered about the primer seats. They look clean but I do not have a brush just a tumbler I do need to try a brush
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

I haven't loaded my own for years . . Don't have the time nor the patience anymore . .

But I buy my reloads from one specific guy who's been buying fired .223 (5.56) brass from the Army at Ft. Carson. He uses two tumblers, and the first clean is with a medium media and the second is with baking soda . . He resizes and de-primes before the last cleaning cycle . .

On the dirty primer pockets, one of two things, in my experience. Cheap primers or really high pressure loads . . Usta shoot a .300 weatherby with max loads, you know, slow burning firewood, and those were the dirtiest cartridges I've ever seen, the cases were full of crud, the primer pockets needed scraping, not just brushing. Don't do that anymore, neither my budget or my body will tolerate it . .

My Loader also claims annealing isn't really needed on DoD standard ammo because they don't get the pressures needed to actually work harden the shoulders . . I run a lot of it through a SS Mini 14 (1st Gen) and haven't had any problems. They feed good and I don't get hangers or split cases . . so he must be doing something(s) right.

He does anneal anything that'll be used for more than a standard DoD spec. load where higher pressures are going to be used . . Y'know, varmit loads and heavier bullets, etc . . I've had him load stuff for my Swift and the .243 and, again, I haven't had any problems with either bad cases or flyers . .