Bought a 71 Nova

Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Bought a 71 Nova

Looking for some advise/knowledge.

I bought a 71 Nova to fix up and restore to street/strip. I don't know how to tell if it was an SS. It has a big block heater core and a in dash factory tach. Also has a ten bolt. I know to be an SS it should of had a 12 bolt but somebody could have taken it out and put a 10 bolt in it. From what I hear you can't tell by the VIN or the trim tag if it is an SS.

It's really not a big deal because I'm gunna restore it as an SS 350. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it was an SS at one time. One more thing it does not have a fuel gauge in the dash so do you think it came with a console and guages? It came with a column shift and is an automatic now. That could have been changed too. Who knows with these old cars what they have done to them in all these years. Just wondering if there's any Nova guys out there that could sheds some light for me.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i don't know for sure myself but go to http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/index.php

they for sure can help you.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
i don't know for sure myself but go to http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/index.php

they for sure can help you.
Thanks alot Hotrod I'll give it a try.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Gearhead68z
APPRENTICE

To my knowledge the nova could have a 10 bolt and bench seet and still be an ss 396 and in 68 without disc brakes for the ss. They threw anything they could in these cars to get em out their.