Pistons

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

You are a brat DD :lol:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
EXPERT BUILDER

Wazup, if this is your first burned up piston in 30 years of using nitrous without using coated pistons, Why would you change anything now? That's a pretty good,( Da#* Good) track record
I wouldn't want to change a thing!
Just Saying 8)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

A coating may have helped, but we all know what happens when they go lean "boom".

The 150 is really not that much on the big block.
Was only 1 cylinder hurt?

As for coatings every piston company will offer something different.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by 482
Wazup, if this is your first burned up piston in 30 years of using nitrous without using coated pistons, Why would you change anything now? That's a pretty good,( Da#* Good) track record
I wouldn't want to change a thing!
Just Saying 8)
the # 8 was the one was the only piston that i took a look at and it dose have hole in it, but a do have oil running out of the driver side exhaust. What would it cost to have a set of piston cost for 3.800 stroke 4.561 bore 6.385 rod coated 12.5.1. The piston in are je now none nos.

Well I'm going to set it up with more and you know thats going to create more heat and thought it would help and if not then wy spend the money. have allwas run it conservative with my jets staggered on the fogger side. I want to put in the plate as much in it as the track well handle out the hole and then turn the fogger on with the plate still on too. I have never coatedmy pistons but evry one keeps saying i need do that and should make more power.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by cncmotorsports
A coating may have helped, but we all know what happens when they go lean "boom".

The 150 is really not that much on the big block.
Was only 1 cylinder hurt?

As for coatings every piston company will offer something different.
Well you asked how much and the game plan is to put as much as i can put in with the track conditions, I made a mistake on the cylinger that the jet was missing.so that was self inflected. I want to try and get the direction i want to go so i'm not wasting more time getting it back together. I would like to know is there more power coating them and the heads, I just dont want to spend the money if the heat is going to just flack it off.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Pistons

If you want to help the top side of the piston to withstand more heat, a hard coat anodizing process will do that. Some top fuel pistons are treated that way. This can be done at an anodizing plant other than at the piston company as they send it out anyway to a specialty company. Hard coat anodizing is better than just a heat coating sprayed on top, I believe. It will go about .002" into the piston and add about .002" on top.

Then a skirt lubricant coating can be added to the sides to help with scuffing from the extra pressure of nitrous. Most piston companies or specialty coating company will offer this. Be prepared for delays as the piston company sends them out and they are not in control of the coating company scheduling.
I have been thru this with JE and others and it always takes longer then they say.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Zipper i only paid 5000.00 for this engine running and put a cab on it and a dist it and ran it and went 9.39 at 139 on motor When i bought it off RJ the guy did'nt sayit was a offshore racing engine so that said i new i was going to tear it down and put my brodix heads on it nos cam 800 lift new intake and a lot of nos for some of the gruge racing i lkie to do. Ido have other races i do also. I couldn't pass up the deal on this motor for the price so i'm stuck with it for now so i am going to make the best of it and spray the hell out of it within reason.

The engine had been sitting for a long time and when i pulled it down it looked like new so i let the guy at the machine shop talk me into putting the same pistons back in and when i mean new in had no wear.

I still havn't heard much about the coating on the pistons.
Zip i will check into the probe piston and also been looking at CP pistons
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Robert you have a PM.

Zip.