adjusting valves on a solid roller cam

Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 AM
mtalp
APPRENTICE

Default adjusting valves on a solid roller cam

Hello to all , Is there a right way to adjust the valves on a big block chevy with an iron block and alumium heads with studs / Also have crower shaft rockers [STEEL] engine hot? engine cold? thank you for your help
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

There are many different methods people use. I adjust mine .006" small to allow for growth using an iron block and aluminum heads. I adjust them cold so I don't have to rush while the engine is cooling down. You can check a couple after they are adjusted and the engine is up to operating temp to varify that it is where you want it to be when hot.

I use the EOIC method (exaust open intake close). Just when the exaust valve is starting to open adjust the intake on that cylinder, just when the intake starts to close adjust the exaust valve on the same cylinder.

One other thing I use the go no-go method. I have say a .020, .022 feeler gauges. If the .020 goes in and the .022 doesn't you have .021.
Curtis
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

DITTO on my BB Mopars
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by doorracer
There are many different methods people use. I adjust mine .006" small to allow for growth using an iron block and aluminum heads. I adjust them cold so I don't have to rush while the engine is cooling down. You can check a couple after they are adjusted and the engine is up to operating temp to varify that it is where you want it to be when hot.

I use the EOIC method (exaust open intake close). Just when the exaust valve is starting to open adjust the intake on that cylinder, just when the intake starts to close adjust the exaust valve on the same cylinder.

One other thing I use the go no-go method. I have say a .020, .022 feeler gauges. If the .020 goes in and the .022 doesn't you have .021.
Curtis
.006 LESS OR GREATER THAN THE HOT SPEC?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Less.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM
contagious
MASTER BUILDER

Default lash

.006 less. If the cam card calls for .030 hot,set the lash at .024 cold.Warm the engine up to temp,check two or three to make sure ,and now you know what to set them cold every time after this.!!