7.3 powerstroke clutch?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default 7.3 powerstroke clutch?

My stock ford 1999 7.3 clutch gave up today at 188,000 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions of what brand is a good one to go with. It looks like south bends has a nice one that converts it over to a solid flywheel.

Its a 1999 f350 single cab flatbed dually with some welding equipment on the back, 7.3 has a 30hp chip, this is just a driver and trailer puller, not a race car or black smoke truck...lol.

Any suggestions, thanks, keith!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
ckhunt
SHOW GUEST

keith i had the same problem with my 95 f250. i had the springs go out on the junky two piece flywheel. i changed my out with a kit that came with a new one piece flywheel and new clutch and bearing. i bought the kit from grande ford in s.a. if you go with a one piece flywheel you might notice a little bit more gear noise from the tranny. i put a small amount of the lucus gear oil when i changed the tranny fluid and that seamed to help out the extra gear noise. good luck. craig
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The original clutch lasted 188000 miles. If it were mine, I'd get one from Ford. I'd ditch the dual-mass flywheel for sure. I'm pretty sure Ford has solid replacements.....jmo
Old 09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
black05dmax
SHOW GUEST

South Bend makes some really nice units and i believe have a good warranty. A few of my buddies have upgraded to them and can't say enough good things about them.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

at our shop, we install LUK brand clutch kit in heavy duty applications like yours. They have a complete flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate upgrade kit. Like all clutch kits comes with alignment tool, new pilot bearing/bushing, and new throw-out bearing. I recommend swapping out the slave cylinder while your there. We always change them out while we are there as we've had them bite us, failing with the pressure of the new clutch.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

LUK clutches are THE BOMB!!!!!