Intake manifold alignment/depth

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

Default Intake manifold alignment/depth

Purchased a sbc block from Lunati. Completely prepped, bored to 4.155" x 4.000". Clearanced for stroker crank and aluminum rods. Deck height is now 9.010".

Called Lunati, and asked how much must be machined from my Hilborn stack injectors to compensate for change in deck height.

Answer: i'm sorry sir, I don't know ask your engine builder :shock: Ahhh, you built/machined my engine, sir :wink:

Ok engine builders, I haven't had a bad answer from this site yet. How much must I cut mani to compensate for change in deck height? What type/thickness intake gaskets are you using to get these figures. Fel-pro,s run .041" thick all the way to Mr. Gaskets steels at .018-.020"?

Any info/part numbers would be a Godsend right now!!!!

Gotta help me here fellas. Have all the pretty parts out on display, and wife's on my case... muttering something about "dust catchers" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Help build a racer & save a relationship

Alan
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

What was the deck height before??
Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

:roll: Beats the heck outa' me, they supplied the core. Standard Chevy 400 4 bolt block, but heck take 10 of them and check deck heights at the corners, come up with 111 different figures :wink:

Actually this was the second block they did for me. The first one that was shipped... had a hole in top of cylinder, right at deck surface.

Sent it back, and of course pay the extra freight thru ABS trucking. What could I do, they had my money for all of the machine work.. block.. crank.. rods.. pistons & rings. It was either throw it all away or pay the extra shipping charges.

Talk about being stuck between a rock and'a hard place :cry: take your money and run I say about these folks :evil:

Alan
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

9.010 is std deck height isnt it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Don't touch the injection, std. deck height from GM factory/dart/whatever after market is 9.020 Most enginge builders deck them to 9.000 for "0" deck height on the pistons. We run 9.000 with Hilborn stacks on (5) 434" motors and 1 355" motor. You won't even see the difference in the deck height, we run .041 felpros and .060 cosmetics. We lay the intake gaskets on the intake runners and trim to fit the head ports, then transferr that to the hilborn and touch up the port runners to match if necessary. We do run both 3 1/2" and the 5 1/2" nozzles which put them into the cylinder heads with the fuel. What little air disturbance you'll get from mis-matched ports will be on the air flow and hardly noticable unless you're reaching for hundreths on ET. The injection units are machined for 9.000 deck heigth from Hilborn.
Now this is with std. 23* cylinder heads, i'm not speaking of special raised port heads that some manufacture's have they are an entirely different animal and have to be worked out.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

Now this is exactly why i'm beginning to love this site, Zip!

It took exactly 2 hours and 29 minutes, from the time I posted my question, to get an answer!

Dayem' even the wife could understand your reply, put that featherduster away Honey!!!! I'll be in shop till Sunday, just order out Honey for me!

Yes, 23* heads... 2 3/16" Hilborns, PG-150-A pump, h/speed bypass.

I'm so darned happy, think i'll just sit here for an hour or so and smile.

Doesn't say too much for Lunati though does it?

Alan