Gutted the interior

Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

So after a week of stewing I decided just to pull that tranny myself instead of paying some shop to do it. Got out the cribs and my buddy had this great little trans jack he let me borrow.

Got everything disconnected, removed the crossmember and realized, the rear mount and the lower right bellhousing bolt was the only thing holding the trans in place! The bellhousing was completely busted off at the front!:screwup:

I guess it could have been a lot worse if it had grenaded! The torque converter splines were chewed up along with the splines on the input shaft. Gonna wait a few weeks and order a TCI Streetfighter Turbo 400 and TCI converter. After shopping around that looks like the best bang for the buck!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Dam bone sorry to here that but on another note look at everything real good something had to cause it to brake like that sorry to keep harping on it but hate to see you spend money on it and it happen agian. I wish you good luck as it is a very nice car.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I was missing a bellhousing bolt and 2 of them were loose. Once I got the trans out, the rear mount fell apart and it was just a stock rubber one. I think it was a combo of all those things with the solid motor mounts, every time I laid in the throttle it was probably lifting the back up the trans putting a ton of pressure on the case. Motor mounts are all tight and solid, drive shaft/u-joints were fine. Those damn bell housing bolts could have been loose for awhile. :shock:

Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Loose bolts that sucks. When you mount the trans back up do not put a solid mount put back the rubber one. Check the drive shaft angle at the back of the trans. I have seen were steel mounts sit a little higher than stock. The way your car is sitting on the blocks you should see if the angle is out. I dont remember the correct angle at the back of the trans but sure there is someone on here that dose. Just tring to help so you dont go threw this agian, better safe than sorry. Love the car clean.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wazup
Loose bolts that sucks. When you mount the trans back up do not put a solid mount put back the rubber one. Check the drive shaft angle at the back of the trans. I have seen were steel mounts sit a little higher than stock. The way your car is sitting on the blocks you should see if the angle is out. I dont remember the correct angle at the back of the trans but sure there is someone on here that dose. Just tring to help so you dont go threw this agian, better safe than sorry. Love the car clean.
I am planning on using a nice heavy duty poly mount on the back, better safe than sorry!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

man that sucks sorry bone. will she back up be fore snows up to your a hole so you can cruise her a bit?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

She should be Sam, started price shopping last night and actually found a few private companies that make nice units for less than the TCI Streetfighter. One of the ladies on the DRAW Boards father owns J.W. Transmissions and she is working me up a price too.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

sweet. guess ya shouldnt do those tests to see how the brakes hold under power lol. or was mama street racing with out ya? my wife used to drive my old gp and race it :shock: :shock: only reason i found out is " dear car making funny noise" then with a dloud of smike and a hardy bang no more 350 :cry: :cry:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
sweet. guess ya shouldnt do those tests to see how the brakes hold under power lol. or was mama street racing with out ya? my wife used to drive my old gp and race it :shock: :shock: only reason i found out is " dear car making funny noise" then with a dloud of smike and a hardy bang no more 350 :cry: :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife loves that car but would never get behind the wheel, that big block scares her to death!
I did get a hold of my old friend Jimmy from Sloans Transmissions in Havana Ill. Since the crack didnt get into the main housing he can cut the bell housing off, Install Ultra-Bell Bellhousing, replace anything that was damaged internally (which I think just involved the input shaft, pump and converter) and get me back on the road for about $850!!!
That made my damn day

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

nice atleast not thousands of dollars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -