How safe is nitrous

Old 06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by olds48
Any setup is only as reliable as the man who tunes it.Don't cut corners and you'll be fine.Have fun!!!
Thats great advice!!! Ask as many questions as you need to. Everyone that is knowledgable with it will tell you the do's and dont's.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
racecrafter
JOURNEYMAN

The relative safety of a nitrous system is dependent more on the operator/tuner than the nitrous itself.....attention to detail is very important, if you pay attention to what is going on with the system and your engine, and you have a proper procedure for turning on, purging, using, and turning off your system the need for "safety" systems can be kept to a minimum....If you want the system to be fool proof then the safety systems will need to be numerous. At the power level you are talking about it is possible to build a system that will not hurt the motor no matter what happens, who tunes it, or just about anything else....it just will not activate if everything is not within safe parameters....expensive and not necessary. Don't want to go on and on here if you don't care, but if you have specific questions I will be glad to try and address them, and if I don't have the answer someone here should.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

A BIG cause of engine damage is being to FAT with the fuel Talked to guys that have had ring lands melt and etc.... from to much fuel!!!! This is no B.S. there are nitrous forums you can get on and read and post questions on this and any other thoughts you have!! I did!!!!!! Learned a HELL of a lot from this!!! Nitrous is a great power adder, I cant wait to get at it .I bought a SPEEDTECH plate system to start out with.Their booklet that comes with the systemtells EVERYTHING you need to do to make it work and be safe for the motor!!! A tool everyone needs is a nitrous flow guage to set the fuel pressure for the nitrous sytem!!!! You also MUST seperate the fuel systems on a fuel log if you run any real amout of nitrous thru the motor. 100 hp is prolly ok without this split fuel system.All I am trying to do is tell Some of what Ive learned.. Sorry to go on and on but I feel its important David. p s -ask questions of who you buy from they'll be glad to help !! PM me ILL HELP and wont give any false info out !!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

also talk with the manufacturer they would be of utmost helpful. id say 7.5 pounds of pressure to the motor is about .5-.75 too much.nos told me to set spray gasoline pressure to 5.75 to 6 lbs pressure for the gas selenoids. if you run more pressure youll put more fuel in on spray...so id say set your motor to run at about 6.5 lbs pressure and that should be good enough for the nitrous side too if your using same regulater for the nitrous system,but some people run two regulators one for motor and one for nitrous system.i am and now in hindsight wished i would of just bought one and ran nitrous along with motor to save a few bucks and easier installation.oh well
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

If you will read the literature on most nitrous kit, all kits are designed to run with 6 lbs fuel pressure. any variance from the manufactures design will cause problems.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
vmnelson
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by Racefab57
A BIG cause of engine damage is being to FAT with the fuel Talked to guys that have had ring lands melt and etc.... from to much fuel!!!! This is no B.S. there are nitrous forums you can get on and read and post questions on this and any other thoughts you have!! I did!!!!!! Learned a HELL of a lot from this!!! Nitrous is a great power adder, I cant wait to get at it .I bought a SPEEDTECH plate system to start out with.Their booklet that comes with the systemtells EVERYTHING you need to do to make it work and be safe for the motor!!! A tool everyone needs is a nitrous flow guage to set the fuel pressure for the nitrous sytem!!!! You also MUST seperate the fuel systems on a fuel log if you run any real amout of nitrous thru the motor. 100 hp is prolly ok without this split fuel system.All I am trying to do is tell Some of what Ive learned.. Sorry to go on and on but I feel its important David. p s -ask questions of who you buy from they'll be glad to help !! PM me ILL HELP and wont give any false info out !!!!
The biggest problem is to fat with the fuel or NOS? Just curious, I'm going to add 100-150HP ONLY to my motor and just getting all the info I can. What ring gaps would you recommend? This will only be used on the big end!!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

"The biggest problem is to fat with the fuel or NOS? Just curious, I'm going to add 100-150HP ONLY to my motor and just getting all the info I can. What ring gaps would you recommend? This will only be used on the big end!!"

If your only going to run this power level, nothing to get all freaked out about, no need to file fit rings or anything fancy just be safe have the proper fuel pressure ( 6.5 psi) and take out about 10 degrees timing and you'll be fine.
Goodluck, Cp
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
"The biggest problem is to fat with the fuel or NOS? Just curious, I'm going to add 100-150HP ONLY to my motor and just getting all the info I can. What ring gaps would you recommend? This will only be used on the big end!!"

If your only going to run this power level, nothing to get all freaked out about, no need to file fit rings or anything fancy just be safe have the proper fuel pressure ( 6.5 psi) and take out about 10 degrees timing and you'll be fine.
Goodluck, Cp
Hey Charles,
Total seal recommends bore and file fit ring gap per application.

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.as...plessPistRings
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks zip, good read.

I was just saying that theres no need to get all wigged out over a 100 to 150 shot, sure it will help file fitting the rings per application which will reduce blow-by and combustion chamber contamination.

But on the flip side of overkill I've put 150 shot on a high mileage stock 5.0 mustang and ran it for years with no problems. JMO>Cp
Old 01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
vmnelson
SHOW GUEST

Thanks!!! This is only necessary to pull high gear on the big end (boat deal). Motor is a 555CI Pontiac with .024" on the top and second rings.

10 degrees of timing, serious? I've read where only 1-2 is necessary, are you guys actual recommending that much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -