16 volt Battery & Charger

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default 16 volt Battery & Charger

Hey guys planning on putting a battery in the race car and Napa doesnt sell the orbital battery anymore so I want to go 16 volt.
My questions
Is the 16volt batteries say a turbostart ok to use with a powermaster charger ?

Whats the deal with older 16v chargers needing to be converted to AGM, what does AGM mean ? What chargers should I avoid ?

thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Hey dave this isnt helpful to your exact question but I have the XS D1600 battery. It weighs 14 pounds more but has more reserve. I have the 1004 charger. The 1005 charger does 12 and 16 but its 100 more. I figured that I already have 12 volt chargers, no need to spend the extra money. The only thing is if you are going to use an alt then you need there voltage reducer because the alt puts out over 18 volts. With no alt you dont need the reducer but when you go round robin the alt would be good.

Not sure this is what you wanted to know but thats the info I have. By the way I used my charger to charge an older style turbo start without and issues. You will love the way it spins the motor over!

BTW hows the hand doin?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Josh you may have answered more then you know with the alt answer, no one has told me about the voltage reducer with the alt so you may of just saved me some cash. Id love to go that way but having had great luck with 12v I am having a hard time doing so. I rarely charge my stuff as is with the alt but my car has a optima going south ( i hate these batteries) and Napa no longer has the Orbital they used to carry so thats why i am even looking.

arm is very sore and hurting .. i am typing one handed for awhile, thank for asking
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Glad to be helpful...lol... i am going with an alt and step down on mine over the winter. I charge mine whenever its not running and that is gettin old. I just needed to voltage to keep from tearing up starters.

I never had any luck with optimas either. XS makes a bunch of 12 volts that might do the trick...