Tire shake with P/G

Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 AM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Default Tire shake with P/G

We have an FED with a blown 542. Our convertor is a JW 10 " and is supposed to stall at about 5,000. We tried to leave at idle and just hit the throttle and it just went into tire shake instantly. We tried to stall it a little and come off the trans brake and it did the same. We don't use a tach so I can't give any stall info there, but the previous 8" convertor we balloned. Any way what my question is, shouldn't there be some slide of the convertor, because it acts like it just locks up period. I am an old lenco guy and am new to this convertor stuff so all you convertor wiz's help me out please. The convertor was just checked by JW before this race.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ?

Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Hope that Helps,its NOT Much,but sometimes thats alls YOU Need?
Later
G 8)
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Yeah, we had it real fat since it was all new, didn't want to cook anything. Did you leave from an idle on your set up or did you nail the convertor and use the trans brake?

Rick
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ?

Flat FOOT from a Dead IDLE 12-1500 RPMs,that Fat B/V could have ALOT to do w/it.............?
Later
G 8)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Flat FOOT from a Dead IDLE 12-1500 RPMs,that Fat B/V could have ALOT to do w/it.............?
Later
G 8)
Thanks for the info, we will lean the puppy out and put a little more timing in it.

Rick
Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Tyre shakes caused by not enough power to the ground. If that convertor has a 5000 stall you shouldn't be leaving at 1500. I'd say put a transbrake in there and use that convertor the way its meant to be used.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:49 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
Tyre shakes caused by not enough power to the ground. If that convertor has a 5000 stall you shouldn't be leaving at 1500. I'd say put a transbrake in there and use that convertor the way its meant to be used.
that is great advice, mine will shake your teeth coming off a idle also.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 AM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Well we have tried just about everything, except transbraking it to 5,000. We usually use about 3-4000 rpm. We have tried changing the low end tune up, different tires and tire pressures. The tracks in this area are not the best, but they do prep them pretty good. I guess what I was getting at is that if there is a possibility the convertor is just locking up from the launch, in other words should I send it back and have it set up for a "softer launch" (if there is such a thing). We used to run lencos and could adjust the clutch a little for the shake but I am lost with this convertor/tire shake.

Rick
Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Tire shack

It was said above, but how about the combo where they use a tight 1800 - 3000 RPM stall large diameter converter for certain blower applications? I would think using a transbrake with a blower could make tire shake worse.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Hope that Helps,its NOT Much,but sometimes thats alls YOU Need?
Later
G 8)
TIGHT CONVERTER!!!!
Later
G 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -