DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

It is a tough lesson none the less... w/ a manufacturer who represents a big pile of Coparate BS...

But still.....

I have used cheap fuel pressure guages... that stick.
I have used cheap valve cover gaskets... that leak.
I have use cheap motor mounts... that break.
I have used cheap shift kits... that destroy transmissions.
Anyone ever had a cheap tach fail??? I have.

FRAM: (F)reakin'(R)uined(A)nother(M)otor

Anyways, it is a shame to lose a motor over a cheap product.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:00 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Fram

I just made a 180 mile trip last Wednesday (Oct. 15) and when I got off the highway the engine ran fine but I heard a noise that sounded like a water valve opening and closing, kind of a thumping. This is in a Nissan Sentra 4 cylinder. I had earlier read this thread and it was fresh in my mind. The noise was coming from the area where the oil filter is located. It was a Fram. So I had the filter replaced at a Firestone dealer since that was the nearest garage and it requires the car to be way up in the air to facilitate removal of the filter. It is between the firewall and the block under the intake manifold. Needless to say, the noise is gone. I will never use Fram filters again. I got away cheap. In a racecar, I seriously doubt you could have heard the noise that it made. If you have a Fram oil filter, I would highly recommend changing it immediately.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
jwc329
SHOW GUEST

Default filter

i had a fram ph13 fail on me too.i dont use them anymore
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Does anyone think these engines are tearing up the oil filters when they grenade?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

my 406ci did not grenade..i still have it and it runs fine....i started losing oil pressure as i went down the road and i parked it in a local business parking lot and had it towed home...if i wasn't an ANAL OLD fart who constantly watches his gauges it was a matter of mInutes/seconds i would have lost something in the engine.

and to be honest..i was thinking everything but the Oil fillter..1st thing that came to mind is a failing Oil Pump,then i said ok the oil gauge is going bad..hooked up another gauge..same problems (20 psi and creeping down)...next i even thought maybe i spun a cam bearing or a main ...then when i ruled out everything i just replaced the filter to a Pure one purelator and BAM !!!..OIL PRESSURE went from 20 psi to 65 psi in seconds flat....No problems since

if this had not happened to me personally i would be blowing this thread off as many probably have.... i am sure this doesn't happen to all people who use the fram filter but it has happened too many times..too many similiar stories...

fram sux

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM
superbadass532
JOURNEYMAN

Default court date

I just want to thank everyone who chimmed in on this thread. I can say with confidence now that the Fram oil filter I used WAS the reason I had engine failure. I have filed in small claims court and have a date in November. I could only file for $3000.00 but I guess thats better than what I have now. That number just barely covers the engine repair. That doesn't include any of my time R&Ring the engine and not to mention the season is about over!! They will most likely want to settle out of court and most likely for less ! I guess I see where this all goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thx

Stan
Old 10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Best oil filtering system available. initially costs more but blown engines do cost tooo.

I WD this from them and can jobber to you.

www.gopurepower.com

Ed
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know what happened to fram they probably went cheap on the material or something they used to be pretty good. I do know it has become a BIG problem for them and nobody I know uses them any more. Myself like many of my friends have gone to the 6 dollar pure one filter, Napa's wix filters are good too.
The main reason I chimmed in here is that if your like me you race and in a race stiuation you really don't have time to be staring at a oil pressure gauge. Granted you might glance at it during a burn-out or while staging and even at the end of the run but when your driving at WOT your focus better be on the track. Now every motor I ever raced I've put a BIG OLE low oil pressure idiot light on the dash, it's just like a shift light but with a red lens, they are super bright and easily seen.
A oil accumulator is great idea too and that coupled with a low oil pressure ignition kill swith and you'll be CYA for sure.

Just thought> Cp
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default fram

well ive been watching this thread and just for the record ,and yes i do this[change oil] for a living now in a "major" lube company ok walmart. after i retired after 25 years of wrenching for myself, i deceided to go back to work but in a slower enviorment. we average on a slow week 30-35 cars a day take 30 a day times 7 days a week is 210 cars times that by 52 weeks thats 10,920 cars a year. every one of them were fram filters! now before any of you pass judgement on me i dont run a fram in my race car or my transporter but all of my daily drivers i do. knock on wood at work as far as i know most all walmarts use fram filters in the oil bays. i havent heard about any failures related to the filters as i write this but all i can speak for is my store here in new mexico. just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: fram

Originally Posted by mikeaton
well ive been watching this thread and just for the record ,and yes i do this[change oil] for a living now in a "major" lube company ok walmart. after i retired after 25 years of wrenching for myself, i deceided to go back to work but in a slower enviorment. we average on a slow week 30-35 cars a day take 30 a day times 7 days a week is 210 cars times that by 52 weeks thats 10,920 cars a year. every one of them were fram filters! now before any of you pass judgement on me i dont run a fram in my race car or my transporter but all of my daily drivers i do. knock on wood at work as far as i know most all walmarts use fram filters in the oil bays. i havent heard about any failures related to the filters as i write this but all i can speak for is my store here in new mexico. just my 2 cents worth
If there were 1 bad 1 made in 10 million I WOULD GET THAT 1 !!!
Never fails. anything that says "results may vary" I can count on getting the "very" worst!! No kidding you and I can go to a store together pick item off shelf together and dam if mine want be broke when i open the box. either way I WILL NEVER HAVE A FRAM PRODUCT ON MY MOTOR!!
Maybe your filters say MADE IN MEXICO on them!!!!! lol!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -