TIMING MOVING

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1962
psst gm, it aint about your ride, magneto, no s,ahahaha
Originally Posted by mopar1962
on my ride 1200rpm ,and im 2 seconds quicker than you friend,and my distributor isnt gutted,, oh, and the other things called a cam button...
It's not about your ride either, chump.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Yes Jeff it SHOULD still be at 34* at wot, BUT, it ain't necassarily so. As these guys said, before the argument, the clearances at idle can fool you into thinking you're setting the timing one place, but actually you're locking it down in another. That's why your timing appears to retard a little, as you speed the engine rpm up, all the clearences settle down, and you see where you've actually locked it down. Setting the timing at 3000 rpm is a good idea, cause it settles the clearences, and lets you see where you're actually setting timing at. Hope this helps.
Depending on the quality of the parts and build of the motor, a constant RPM even at increased RPMs may not be the answer.

Thats why I said rev the motor and look at the timing during the up swing of the RPMs.

The timing during engine acceleration is the timing that will be seen on the track.

Now, that being said, if you use engine RPM acceleration to note timing, and then double check it at 3,000, you then know that they are the same. Motors and tolerances will vary.
MOTOR HAS ALL TOP NOTCH PARTS,THANKS FOR THE HELP,I NOW KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO DO.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Yes Jeff it SHOULD still be at 34* at wot, BUT, it ain't necassarily so. As these guys said, before the argument, the clearances at idle can fool you into thinking you're setting the timing one place, but actually you're locking it down in another. That's why your timing appears to retard a little, as you speed the engine rpm up, all the clearences settle down, and you see where you've actually locked it down. Setting the timing at 3000 rpm is a good idea, cause it settles the clearences, and lets you see where you're actually setting timing at. Hope this helps.
Depending on the quality of the parts and build of the motor, a constant RPM even at increased RPMs may not be the answer.

Thats why I said rev the motor and look at the timing during the up swing of the RPMs.

The timing during engine acceleration is the timing that will be seen on the track.

Now, that being said, if you use engine RPM acceleration to note timing, and then double check it at 3,000, you then know that they are the same. Motors and tolerances will vary.
MOTOR HAS ALL TOP NOTCH PARTS,THANKS FOR THE HELP,I NOW KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO DO.
Awww, :lol: I don't know anything about timing lights, I set ignition timing with a Buzz Box. :lol: