Helping a local track grow

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Helping a local track grow

I have a track close to me that has been around since the fifties. last season they reopened with the hope of growing big. they currently are a old airstrip,have no lites no time boards and only run on volunteers. its a great location and lots of room . and well im all for helping to make more tracks for us to race at it would be nice if we as a group could help get the word out and help them get big enough and more up to date as its only way of running races is with flagman no times its a 1/4 mile track and well they need some help in donations and help hopefully from someone big to help them get the equipment to become more technical.. Well these are just my thoughts and I am on board with helping them grow .. Shelton Wa raceway nhra track. 1/4 mile
Old 11-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Gary, we are actually looking forward to running at Shelton this summer, both me with my Falcon and the nephew with his new altered.

Pacific has pissed off enough racers that many are shifting to Bremerton anyway, not much further to Shelton. And Team Shelton finished 4th in the Division Six ET Finals.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to a few hits over at the air strip in Forks, too.

Murff
Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

good to hear Murff Ill be there as well possibly forks but defenetly yakima ,bremerton,shelton,and well more over the hill also..they need help at shelton as to make it possible to keep the track alive .. just need more help like tree-lights-timing board heck im sure used stuff would work too. im trying to help not gonna loose a good place to race specially this close . Gary
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i will tell you a good place to start..is with the Fuel Distributerships....such as Sunoco/VP/Torrco.........You could work out a deal with them to pay for the score board and the tree in order for them to have an exclusive right to sale their brand fuel at the track..
one of our local tracks Sunoco Dist paid for their score boards in order to have the exclusive right to sell fuel...also their contract is up for review every 2 years.....you might have to lock in a 3 to 5 year deal to start to get the equipment you need...

i would think there would be a heavy insurance penalty ( or no insurance will cover) for running with a flagman..(no tree)..

this along with private donations i could see it getting up to a good outlaw track level if not more down the road.

Good luck

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Brian Thats excellent info.. hoping for outlaw myself . anything else you can think of let me know please.. I need to do a little more research on their situation.. Murff do you have more info?? Gary
Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Last I heard they were trying to get up a full(er) schedule for 2008. I have not been in direct contact with anyone from the track, relying on other racers for info.

I was under the impression tho' that they had a tree and timing setup this past summer but were having ongoing problems keeping them working.

I have a Port-A-Tree out in the garage, might be a little inadequate for a full on race day.

Fun to watch reaction times change as the booze gets consumed. <hic>

Murff
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Im sorry I was very misinformed they have tree and score boards now.. they have actually gotten upto date and have a pretty good turnout.. they would love for more to show and run they are growing fast nice track too wide. Still improving. well spread the word anyway guys. please and thanks...Gary
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

I ran the nostalga drags there in July and had a good time. But the track surface was not really that good. Starting line was good but lanes were bumpy and a pretty short shutdown. Walt Austin has said he is willing to put money into the track surface if the port commission will sign a lease, but there seems to be some resistance from some of the port officials
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

I sent an email to the Shelton crew via their web site asking what they had in mind for a schedule for 2008, no response yet but it's only been a day.

Pacific seems to be having some 'issues' (ala Rocksted (sp)) and we really don't have much interest in running there other than T&T. Would like to know if Shelton is going to have a real points program next season.

I'm pretty sure that there are other racers that feel the same about Pacific, and I have a hunch that Bremerton is going to be mighty crowded in '08, especially since Bremerton announced that they are having two National Open events in June.

That airstrip in Forks is starting to look real good.

Murff