To heat or not . .

Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
that it would scooter. big time!
I know its kind of a rookie question...

I take this part for granted here in Oregon. We are basically at sea level... as much as 300ft above... makes for easy tuning. I notice elevation problems when up in the mountains w/ my dirt bike or RV generator... but not on the street or strip near here. I asked this b/c I had a car shipped from NM (maybe 5000+ ft) & it ran terrible here until it was re-jetted & re-tuned quite a bit. It was set up for bracket racing & it was like night & day difference.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Just want to comment on the water boiling at altitude thing and the temp I start my burnout. While water does boil at a lower temp up here at altitude, that rule does not apply since the cooling system is not only a sealed system but also under pressure. Raising the pressure raises the boiling point and the cooling system doesn't care about altitude. There is less air to make power with though, that is a fact and you'll loose around .6 in et from sea level to here. Also, while my water temp is about 100-110 (not too cool at all), my other fluids are at operating temp or slightly below. My routine works, 8.554, 8.555, 8.554 were my last runs under competition and were made over a period of about six hours. Now if the driver could only do that with his reaction times............

Racing super Chevy show? Wifey is supposed to sing the National Anthem and if I can get my new trans installed I'll be running too!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Record her singing, PLEASE ! And post it here, We all LOVE to hear that song......
Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Record her singing, PLEASE ! And post it here, We all LOVE to hear that song......
For now, check out my homepage. There's a link there for when she did the Anthem for the Mile High Nationals in 2009! I'll try to get it filmed this time, but I'll be racing instead of spectating and it's a bit harder to make it happen!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

She did a fine job... I could not hit those notes to save my life!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Chills and tears of PRIDE.....
Man...listen to that crowd ! I LOVE IT !
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Rigsby . . Altitude makes a big difference, especially once you're above about 3000' MSL, and the temperature gets much above 85°. The "Air" just goes away . . add in a 5 mph wind and it gets worse.

Years ago there was motorcycle classes for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, and a couple of times we did that . . Talk about a tuner's nightmare. Start at 9000' and go to 14,000' . . 85° at the bottom and about 55° at the top. Had no idea back then about "Air Density, corrected", but I'd bet there was "NONE" . .

But . . In places where there are dense forests surrounding the race track, altitude reads may show less air, but because of the trees, the oxygen content in the air is greater . . it's a real tuner's conundrum. Seattle, Houston, Memphis, all have this particular situation and while it's not as big a deal to the normally aspirated cars, add a blower with Alky and your exhaust temperature problems seem to multiply, while your weather station is telling you there is no air . . Add Nitro and it gets real edgy.

And Mark's pretty close on the temp thing, I think. We try to keep the water at about 100°, engine oil(pan Temp)@ 115-120° and the converter @ 120-135°, depending upon the time given between rounds . . We try to come into the water at about 160° and it's usually about 170° at the launch . . And the longer you're against the converter the softer the leave . . Just sharing what I think I've learned . .

And we'll be listening on Saturday (Super Chevy) for your wife . . We're the purple 67 Camaro (The Grape Ape) in S/Pro . . If we get a chance we'll stop by and say Hi . .
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Rigsby . . Altitude makes a big difference, especially once you're above about 3000' MSL, and the temperature gets much above 85°. The "Air" just goes away . . add in a 5 mph wind and it gets worse.

Years ago there was motorcycle classes for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, and a couple of times we did that . . Talk about a tuner's nightmare. Start at 9000' and go to 14,000' . . 85° at the bottom and about 55° at the top. Had no idea back then about "Air Density, corrected", but I'd bet there was "NONE" . .

But . . In places where there are dense forests surrounding the race track, altitude reads may show less air, but because of the trees, the oxygen content in the air is greater . . it's a real tuner's conundrum. Seattle, Houston, Memphis, all have this particular situation and while it's not as big a deal to the normally aspirated cars, add a blower with Alky and your exhaust temperature problems seem to multiply, while your weather station is telling you there is no air . . Add Nitro and it gets real edgy.

And Mark's pretty close on the temp thing, I think. We try to keep the water at about 100°, engine oil(pan Temp)@ 115-120° and the converter @ 120-135°, depending upon the time given between rounds . . We try to come into the water at about 160° and it's usually about 170° at the launch . . And the longer you're against the converter the softer the leave . . Just sharing what I think I've learned . .

And we'll be listening on Saturday (Super Chevy) for your wife . . We're the purple 67 Camaro (The Grape Ape) in S/Pro . . If we get a chance we'll stop by and say Hi . .
I'll stop by if I get the chance! New trans isn't here as of yet (saturday), but should be in time enough before the race to get it in the car and tested.

You're not going to be upset when I put you on the trailer in the 1st round now are you???
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

We don't have a problem with that, just as long as you aren't 'Bagging us . .

Out the back door . . That's drag racing! Wheel racing on the other hand, that isn't racing, that's taking advantage of a situation.

And, because of go1320.com, we all know how fast everyone else can go . . If the air's good at all, we should be running about 9.50s, low 9.60s . . We'll see . . .

But, racing with friends is a lot more fun than racing "That other Guy" . . And, if we lose, you're buying the Beer . . that works both ways . . Hope you like Coors Lite . . I think we keep some "Fat Tire" in stock . .

See ya Friday, Mark . .
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Looks like I'll be watching you from the tower......Ran into problems again tonight, so calling it a season. Getting tired of spending money and getting no runs..........Good luck to you guys, I'll look for you while I'm there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -