Can I block PG cooler line fittings?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

I'm not kidding, please tell me what kind of problems to expect.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

You will create problems with the internals as the pump will not function properly unless it was altered to allow for your flowing circuit to be eliminated.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Robstclair
APPRENTICE

I am not certian about a glide, but on most auto. trans. the cooler return oil is the source for lube oil in the gear train. If that is the case you would experience smoked bushings and planetaries in verry short order.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
carssteve36
APPRENTICE

If it were to work at all there will be no lube to the gear sets that means big heat oil out the vent on to the track and some very mad racers behind you a cooler is the best investment on any trans
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

You're half right, half wrong, I found this with google, http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&so...meta=&aq=f&oq=

here it says:

http://books.google.fi/books?id=SOIY...bypass&f=false

"Externally cooled units were equipped with a cooler bypass valve, that opens when cooler pressure reaches 27psi. This fluid is bypassed directly to the lubrication circuit. In the air cooled units, the bypass valve was eliminated, directing the oil directly to the lubrication circuit"

Now the question is, what kind of cooler bypass valve my oil pump has. Original, removed or blocked.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

I ended up to buy new hoses to loop the lines, but the answer to the main question is:

Yes you can block the cooler lines completely if you remove the cooler bypass valve from your oil pump.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
You will create problems with the internals as the pump will not function properly unless it was altered to allow for your flowing circuit to be eliminated.
Gee, thanks for letting me know that. 8)
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Can I block PG cooler line fittings?

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by triniemi
What happens if I just block the oil circulation from the cooler? Does something break or what? My tranny guy told me that powerglide is designed so that if cooler gets filled with trash, particles etc, the tranny still works.

Original tranny case and I think it's original pump.
maybe he meant he blocked the cooler bypass off ??
me too
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

This is what you get with a weak english skills, sorry. But problem solved and it's 6 weeks for the first race! 700hp feels good on the strip after driving around all winter on ice with 60hp