TDC- How do i find it?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If your distributer is locked out then yeah,set it to 36 or 38 or whatever...but if it's not locked out, As long as it is close to TDC on the compression stroke you'll be able to get it started..just get it running then set the timing to 34-38 or whatever you want with all advance in.If your distributer isn't locked out and you install it 36 deg BTDC , when you start it and the centrifical advance and or vacume advance comes in you will have way too much timing.
If for some reason you can't get a finger on the spark plug hole to tell when it's on the compression stro ke,just watch the rocker arms.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by thetanman101
If your TDC mark doesn't alingn with the 0 degree mark on the balancer, do you align for 36 degrees counting from your TDC mark and just ignore the original numbers on the balancer?

-Tanner
You can buy an adjustable pointer.
That's not what I'm asking. Let's say TDC on mine is at the 10 degree mark on my balancer. I want my motor running at 35 degrees total. Would I add 35 degrees to my 10 degree TDC mark and set it at the 45 degree mark on balancer?

-Tanner
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Can i have my thread back? I dont even know who is responding to who and i dont know what locked out means. I would like to know what the pointer should point at when i am at TDC? At 0 or at 36? or ?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Blue68Camaro
Can i have my thread back? I dont even know who is responding to who and i dont know what locked out means. I would like to know what the pointer should point at when i am at TDC? At 0 or at 36? or ?
locked out means you are running full advance all the time.

http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala...tributor.shtml
http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/timex.htm
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

OK so lets say i have my engine at TDC and i drop the distributer in all the way, cant i just put on the cap and install the wires starting from where the rotor tab is at as number one and install the wires with the firing order?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Blue68Camaro
OK so lets say i have my engine at TDC and i drop the distributer in all the way, cant i just put on the cap and install the wires starting from where the rotor tab is at as number one and install the wires with the firing order?

Yes
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thank you, i will give it a shot.

Tom
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Blue68Camaro
JUNIOR BUILDER

Couple more questions. I have the motor at TDC (I think). The little needle is at 0 on the balencer and i think its on the compression stroke ( I felt a woosh of air at the number 1 spark plug). But now i dont know where to start the firing order. The distributer can be turned and i can easily have number one be at two different spots. How do i know which one is the true number one? Also which way does the engine turn on the rotor?

I am sorry to not know all this stuff, i knew it once but at 37 and 20 years out of the muscle car hobby i have long forgotten this stuff.

I am just trying to avoid putting this car back together and having to redo stuff. If i can do it right the first time it might limit what goes wrong (something always does) at the end.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Either one will work as long as you put #1 plug wire in the cap directly above where the rotor is pointing. Just make sure you are able to move the distributor both ways so you will be able to set the timing Continue placing the plug wires on going clockwise as per the firing order usualy 18436572 unless you have a 7/4 swap cam which will swap those 2 numbers in the firing order.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

The company my dad works for (GAPCO INC) makes a thing called "Whistle Dic" that goes in the spark plug hole and whistles as the piston comes on compression stroke. Great for when you work alone.

http://www.gapcoproducts.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -