powerglide stuff

Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default powerglide stuff

hey guys got a delima i ordered the imput shaft for a 1.76 and they sent me the box for a 1.76 my shaft is 12 5/8 as the 1.76 is but they sent me a 12 7/8 long can i use it? also where does the "wedding band go? man im really in a pickle here any help? thanks mike
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

The 1.76 input shaft is supposed to be 12 7/8" and the 1.82 input shaft is 12 5/8". So, it sounds like they sent you the correct one for the 1.76. If you truly need the 12 5/8" long shaft, you can not use the 12 7/8" as the torque convertor would not be able to slide on far enough. The gold wedding band fits inside the small slinger/shield that rests against the hub inside the high gear drum.

Bill M
Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

what kind of input shaft did you Buy Mike stock or aftermarket..such as a vasco etc...????

i will tell ya somehting Bill m is on the stick..this fella knows his parts..i am inpressed BILL...ROCK ON !!!!! 8) 8) ..

hes correct on where the band goes..........

later Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks, Brian. It also helps that this past weekend I was freshening up a glide. The JW Powerglide Transmission book is a pretty good handbook that I use.

When I started racing over 20 years ago, I had the money for the parts or the labor. I bought lots of books and learned how to work on it, so that I could have money for more parts. So, I learned a lot of the ways to not do things. One of the most fun was finding out that there are over 100 needle bearings in the countershaft of a Muncie 4-speed held in by wheel bearing grease.

Bill M
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 AM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default powerglide

as usuall you guys are here for us racers thanks again bill brian we bought a tci shaft[which im going to send back and get the right one ] from jegs also carp from a-1 transmissions here in artesia gave us a great deal on some clutches and steels so ill be ok there everything else looks great just my mistake will cost us a weekend of racing! maybe it will rain this weekend! well bill thanks again and thanks for checking in brian you guys rock!!! mike in new mexico
Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

BTE's shafts are universal, no need for a 1.82 or 1.76.

Steve
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 AM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default trans

thanks steve ill look into the bte stuff ive got to send this one back so ill check with jeggs on that thanks guys mike