powerglide stuff

Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default powerglide stuff

ok guys humor me on this one you all know ive been fighting the funny car to get it to run in the sevens well i am making a convertor change today and "SURPRISE" the imput shaft is twisted big time! so my question is how do i know which imput shaft i have i know they make 2 of them for the difference in first gear but i dont know the lengths mine is 12 and5/8 inches long i also found that the clutches and floaters are also in need of replacement along with the clutch hub as well ive got the "red" clutches but im in need of the imput shaft with turbo spline and the clutch hub anyone ? thanks mike
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Mike

The 12 5/8 shaft fits the 1.82
The 12 7/8 shaft fits the 1.76

Here is the link

http://www.bmracing.com/noflash/prod...300Minput.html
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Mike- i replaced my stock input shaft with a HI-FLow VASCO input shaft i purchased from Trans speacialties..12 5/8...its good for up to 1300 hp..

it cost me like $285......

i am surprised it didn't break !!..i just wonder is it damaged the converter..it cannot be good for it no matter what..

later Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-07-2007, 06:05 AM
oobob
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Mike, get me a list of what you need, i'm a trans-specialties WD may be able to save you some cash.
The vasco high flow input shafts are $250.00
Steel hubs are $27.00

Mark
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I believe i would also look for a set of 1.76 planataries while you got it down. They are considerable stronger and if money is available i would go to the straight cuts. Even the 1.82's with a welded gurddle are not as strong as a 1.76 set.
I too am surprised that you didn't break the stock shaft. There are 4 essentials to making a glide live, good pump,good input shaft, and good planataries, good clutches and drums/hubs. I too use the TSI valve bodies, in fact i use the electric shift valve body which works off the msd unit.
I saw an ad for straight cut 1.80's for $795.00 on RJ.
We run 1.76's with 3,000 lb cars and get 200/300 passes without pulling them down. My friend Jimmy smith (who logs every run) had over 350 passes on his last trans, before going thru it. We have a friend in Greenwood Ms.(a 72 yr. old mud racer with a trans shop) who builds them for about $1,000.00 with our core. I've got the same one in my car for over 5 yrs., changed the fluid 2 times.

just my 2 cents

Zip.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
oobob
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Some alky cars used a 1.82 carrier with 1.90 - 2.10 ratio straight cut gears.
Maybe the reason for the 12-5/8" shaft.

Mark
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oobob
Some alky cars used a 1.82 carrier with 1.90 - 2.10 ratio straight cut gears.
Maybe the reason for the 12-5/8" shaft.

Mark
O'h, o'k i didn't think of that, i know the stock 1.82's are really weak. I know where there's 3 sets setting on a shelve and one of them has a welded gurddle on it, All have broke gears. I've got a brand new BTE 9310 alloy shaft with PG splines i'd almost give away, because every converter i have has turbo splines.
Thx's for waking me up on the carrier gear change.

Zip.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default powerglide stuff

thanks guys! hey brian the convertor was working ok just to loose for the car the shaft is twisted about one inch from the end of the imput shaft ill have to send the convertor off to be checked and if it checks ok im going to have it tighten uo a little. im lost on everything you guys are talking about i usually have someone build my trannys and i freshen them up over the winter myself i just dont know what"parts" are called i.e. gear ratio and how to id them i know how to rebuild them but heck if i know what gear ratios they are i might re think rebuilding this one if i replace a bunch of stuff the shaft is 12 5/8 long and my hub is fubared so i at least need to replace them 2 but as stated above maybe i need a better gear type for the hp we are making id rather spend the money now instaed of later and possible hurting the engine as well mike
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

We just ordered a set of 1.80 straight cut from Alan Pope. He advertised on RJ and they are one nice piece.

Steve