toter home towing limits and length laws

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
kevinfloars
SHOW GUEST

Default toter home towing limits and length laws

Can anyone offer me the truth about towing a stacker trailer behind a 45 foot Frieghtliner toterhome.

I have been told so many different things that I do not know what to do.

New truck sitting in the driveway and not sure what if anything I can legally pull behind it?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

different states have different requirments, your best bet is to contact your local DOT and get the proper answer straight from them.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Don't know where you from, but out west, IE: Az. has a 64' limit unless it's commerical. I know that a duelly crew cab with a 48' goose neck barely makes it in.measuring front bumper to back of trailer.

Zip.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

look at your drivers license, & state dot site, you may have a restriction on length as is.
I know a lot of guys who are driving 18 wheelers with out a CDL saying its for private use only gets them out of that requirement. That may get you down the road, but what happens if you wreck someone? Are you covered? Will your insurance cover you? God forbid some gets hurt or killed, will your liability be in force? or will they throw the book at you.

I had one of my pals get pulled over in Indiana last year with his toter home & stacker trailer , he had a regular GA DL. The trooper thoght he needed a CDL, he was held for hours & then they let him go, busting him on the fact that GA DL places a limit on trailer lenghth, the exact lenghth escapes me at the moment.

I have an insurance agency & have seen all sorts of stuff that you can get away with until the big one happens & then you get stuck with the bill.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM
whosyurdaddy
APPRENTICE

Maybe this will help .

http://www.trophyfishing.com/pdf/towing-guide8.pdf