Shipping to Canada

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Shipping to Canada

I'm trying to find out about shipping to Canada i have shipped a lot of Parts there.
But this time i shipped two boxes through the post office and one of his parts wasn't sent with the order.
so we sent the other box through ups and when he got it they charged him i think 78.75 now there was no price on the box or invoice but ups put a cost of 384.3 as the value .
I paid the shipping here when it left.
How did they get a value for this item

On the invoice he faxed me it Say's import charges 19.22 brok fee 56.70 brok gst 2.83 total value for duty 384.30 total cod 78.75

Is this normal i don't know and my customer is asking me whats going on here .
I don't have a clue i don't live there and have never been there and none of my other customers there have ever said anything to me about this kind of thing before.
And I'm guessing that it hasn't happened to him before since he is asking me about it.
I think he feels like I'm charging this and it has nothing to do with me i'm just trying to get him some answers for this.

Ant info would be greatly appreciated Thanks Ron
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah thats correct, they have fees for shipping into and out of Canada.
For the record you should not have to bear this cost, I am sure he knows it would be applied in some way.

Most of the guys I ship to that are from canada usually have me ship it near the border on the US side and they cross the border, pick up the item and what they do from there I don't know.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I have shipped a lot to NY and a lot to Canada but this is the first time anyone has called and ask me what was going on with this i was trying to find out for him and me i contacted UPS but haven't herd back from them to explain how they got that figure for the cost.
We ship there most of the time by USPS and it cost me more than he was Quoted for shipping almost double he paid 56.00 to ship and when it went through USPS it cost me 109.00 i think it was. then i paid again for the last package we sent through ups but that was our fault one of his parts got left out of the first shipment .
So all in all i lost almost a 100.00 dollars on this deal.
Thanks for the info. Ron
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Xrated1
JUNIOR BUILDER

Free trade is a friggin' joke. UPS and FedEX bend us Canucks over, they call it a brokerage fee but it can sometimes double the cost of a product. I always request stuff be sent USPS if I'm not in a hurry for it.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

I have shipped to Canada and the guy I shipped to wanted it sent USPS because UPS hits him up pretty hard on the fees and tariff. If you insure the package UPS will base it's value on the insured amount. The guy I ship to request that I don't add any insurance and declare a low dollar value on it. The 1st time I sent him something I warned him that if something happened to the package he would be out the money and he said he rather risk it than pay the fees.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Iv done that for a lot of customers out of the USA i sent the first two package's through USPS but he wasn't happy because i think it took longer to get there but now he's not happy because of this charge he acquired from ups just want to make him happy but don't know what else i can do .

I cant control the shipping once it leaves my place and i sure cant control any kind of laws when it gets there but he sure is not happy about getting the charges for entering Canada .

I guess they don't charge that if it goes through the mail service ?

Not sure what he wants me to do about it unless he figures i should eat those charges also and i just can do that the post office missed the shipping charges by double when i got the price for shipping and i ate that already and paid for the ups charges but that was my fault so i should pay that not the customer .
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

I live in Canada and have had a lot of stuffed shipped here from the US. My first choice for shipping (and the cheapest) is the USPS, next is Fedex and last is UPS. I always get a bill from UPS after the fact wanting more money (for fees, brokerage, etc). I have called and asked them for an explanation and they have never been able to give me a straight answer. I just don't pay them, and they go away, so I assume it's some bogus charge. If it wasn't, I'm sure they would pursue payment.
Aways ship USPS to Canada, if possible. If not then use Fedex. They don't send another bill afterwards.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
harwood103
SHOW GUEST

Darkside of NAFTA!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

ron I bought a intake from a guy on our s10 site, who lives not even that far from me wa state to canada, he payed shipping to have it shipped here plus I got a cod charge that I had to pay to get it, when I already found out he payed shipping it pissed me off, at first I didnt know if he payed or not, its not right what they do in there shipping cost
Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

About 3 yrs. ago i bought a stacks injection from a guy in western Canada, don't remember the Providence and i paid with Paypal which included the shipping to me in La. Injection came no problem, UPS guy dropped it off on the front porch and i was good to go, (I Thought) About a month later i got a bill from UPS for 20 something dollars, less than $30.00. So i sent them an email and said screw you i already paid for the shipping. I got an email back stating this was a cross the border tax, so i say fine collect from them. We go back and forth a couple weeks and they tell me they are going to cancel my UPS account if i don't pay it. I say fine i don't have a UPS account. About a month later i get an email from a collection agency saying if it's not paid in 30 days it's going on my credit report. Well i have a 7.70 credit rating and it's something i don't need on my credit report, So i go ahead and pay it, and haven't bought anything else or sold anything else to Canada since.
That very tax is the reason Murrey the engine builder from Canada contracted a shop in Ohio to build engines sold in the US.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -