Broke a ring! Reuse an old one?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default Broke a ring! Reuse an old one?

Was cutting ring end gaps from a new set of file-fit rings for my freshly honed, zz502 based Gen 6 BBC. On one cylinder, broke the second from the top ring. I can buy a new set of rings for one cylinder, but, as I have the original rings I took out of it, could I reuse that one ring? If so, should I rough up the side that contacts the cylinder wall with something like a Scotchbrite? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

New New New
Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Broke a ring! Reuse an old one?

Originally Posted by visualsmoke
Was cutting ring end gaps from a new set of file-fit rings for my freshly honed, zz502 based Gen 6 BBC. On one cylinder, broke the second from the top ring. I can buy a new set of rings for one cylinder, but, as I have the original rings I took out of it, could I reuse that one ring? If so, should I rough up the side that contacts the cylinder wall with something like a Scotchbrite? Thanks.
You can Buy just 1 set for a single Piston!
Thats would be the Best,but I have Used a Used 1 in a Pinch?I'm talking like 3am when the Motors going back together and the Car Needs to be in the Trailer by 7am!
Later
G 8)
Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

New X2 your going threw all that work of building the engine. Do it right
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default ring a round

i vote new, just in case down the road you have any issues at all you will second guess the decision to not replace with a new one.....but recently I have had some new parts fail also: oil pan flaps breaking, cams, valve spring, an engine guy told me he send back some heads he had recieved beacause of poor quality, so new stuff can have qc issues.
but I vote new
good luck
jmo
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default THANKS

I got a new ring set for one cylinder. Got the end gap cut today. Ready for assembly! Thanks to all who responded!