fuel lines

Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM
rich970
APPRENTICE

Default fuel lines

hi i am running new lines fuel cell to carb. i was wondering about line size and regulator placement. the pump is a magna fuel pro star 500. to start #12 cell to pump , #10 pump to fuel log hope to mount at frame height. what size line are best to supply the carb ? the regulator is at the carb now with # 8 lines to a domiator, is it best to have the regulator close to what it supplies like carb or nitrous ? are the # 8 too big for carb feed lines ? thanks Rich
Old 11-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

It's best to have the regulator close to the carb and in my opinion in front of it if possible. Number 8 lines will work fine. I have the same pump with 10 to the regulator and 6 to the carb but having number 8 won't hurt anything in my opinion will be better.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

All sounds good to me. I have the carb and nitrous fuel regulators in a row across the front of the engine about level with the base of the intake. Check out the picture.

http://www.racingjunk.com/gallery/profile/104786/172939
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 AM
rich970
APPRENTICE

Thanks . now is a 15 gal tank to big this is a race only car
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Too small a tank means you need to top off between rounds which can be an issue if you have a limited pit crew and something else needs immediate attention before your next round, fuel could get overlooked.
ops: ops:
Too large means added weight which can be a speed/acceleration reducing factor.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rich970
Thanks . now is a 15 gal tank to big this is a race only car
It doesn't hurt anything,if you are concerned with having too much fuel in the car just don't fill it up .If you bracket race Use a stick with a mark on it so you can keep the same amount in it all the time.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
rich970
APPRENTICE

Thanks for the help. i think i will go to a 5 or 8 gal and keeping it close to full. i was more concerned about sloshing around . Thanks Rich
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

In that case a foam filled fuel cell(available EVERYwhere,Jegs,Summitt,JAZ,Speedway, etc)
Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rich970
Thanks for the help. i think i will go to a 5 or 8 gal and keeping it close to full. i was more concerned about sloshing around . Thanks Rich
When a drag car launches the force send the fuel back. If you don't have much fuel in the tank the fuel goes up and away from the bottom and can put air in the lines. Not sure where the pickup it in the 15 gallon tank, but if you let the fuel get to low it will slosh all around in the tank. I had a similar problem first part of this year. My truck felt like someone cut the ignition switch off then right back on. Finally caught it on tape and you can hear the motor die for a split second. I changed to a jaz tank.
Also without the foam in a racing tank and the tank only half full it will do the same thing. Always top you tank off after every run ( if you can) and that solves the problem.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 AM
rich970
APPRENTICE

yes thats what i was thinking . i dont stall out but i could be droping fuel presure to 1 or 2 # at launch. with nitrous and a fuel pres switch that would be a problem ?