shimming distributor

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default shimming distributor

when new engine was built the engine builder in stalled the distributor and installed shims under the distributor where it goes through the intake. is that for gear mesh(and howe do you know it is the right amount of spacers) or someone else said it is to align an oil hole somewhere in the distributor shaft and you need to open up one of the three little threaded plugs in the back of block to look in and install the correct amount of shims for alighment. im confused and feel stupid asking this question. could someone please help me on this one. i have another new engine and i am installing the distributor and dont know if i have to do something with the shims. i feel like the gorilla with a calculus book and dont know what to do with it thanks art
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

If the deck of the block and the intake have been milled you need to shim the distributor to make up the difference. I don't know how you would go about measuring that though :?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Final edit....

If you have the cam removed and the rear cam thrust plug out, the dist gear should be centered in the opening (to one side). Unless you plan for this, it won't happen as the assembly sequence is out of whack.

If the engine is fully assembled, I usually trust the height of the oil pump drive and shim up from there to allow for thermal expansion.