Dumb Question...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Dumb Question...

Ok, my timing light died finnaly. So, on my built BBC, when i increase the timing, I do this by manually moving the dist...I have a HEI into a 6AL. My timing marker I have on the harmonic dampener only goes to 16 degrees... so after that, it's all manual with alot of testing to find the sweet spot. I think it likes about 30 degrees... but not sure exactly. I always make sure I have no pings, or starter bind, etc... but get response.

My questions: I did not build the engine, do not have cam spec's. I want to know before I replace the timing light, how do you check timing when you have no timing marker that goes that high, or can you use a timing light or some timing device that will show how many degrees you are at?? I want to know exactly where I am at... The motor is BBC w/ high lift duration solid Lunatti, manual HEI w/ no vac advance, MSD/6AL.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

NOW YOUR SCARING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST SIT TIGHT AND MEDITATE AND THE ANSWER WILL COME ON HERE!!!

JUST THINK SLOWLY/ SLOWLY/ SLLLOOOOOOO-------------------------------

LIVELY ops: ops: ops: ops:
Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Yep easy fix, simply replace your burned up timing light with an advance timing light, set the dial to what you want for your total advance, bring the rpm's to about 3,000, rotate the distributor until it reads "0" on the harmonic balancer. YOU'RE DONE.
See the pic below for an advance timing light, lots of manufacturers make these and they can be had for as little as $60.00.

Zip.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM
CHEVYMATT
JUNIOR BUILDER

i would either run out to autozone and pick up a stick on balancer degree tape your your size balancer or . take the diameter of your balancer and multiply it by 3.14.
for example a 8 inch balancer would be 3.14 x 8 (8 being the diameter) that will give you the overall measurement of the outside of the balancer
25.12 then divide by 360 degree = .069778. that number is how many inches is between each degree . now times it by 30 (30 is your timing degrees you like to run) so 30 degree's of timing will be 2.09334 inches from your zero mark on your balancer.
im someone will tell you an easier way.
goodluck

3.14x8=25.12/360=.069778x30=2.09334
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I expected to catch a fair amount of crap on the one LIVLEY... hense the title "dumb question" anyways, I have always used a basic timing light & done a manual advance in small increments, until I ..... wait a minute, I am doing it again... i will just shut up at this point. ZIP- this is good, see you got to make a difference today.... for this, I am greatful. I was always taught to ask the question no matter what anyone thinks. Until reciently, I was doing this the hard way... really hard way. Livley- I have no time to "meditate"... come on, cut me some slack. Next thing you will be telling to get into a YOGA class??
Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOGA!!!!--THAT IS AN IDEA??/

WHEN I TURN 70 YEARS OLD -MAYBE!!!!LOL LOL

LIVELY
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I am going to invest in better timing equipment!! Livley, you are awnry. Somehow, I don't thin either one of us could do yoga... something about the SPANDEX pants & FLAMING LIBERALS chanting non-sence makes me think we would be better off jumping off an airplane with no parachoote.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Let me start off by sayin I don't want to start no trouble. My Yoga instructor is a moderate republican. No chanting, or spandex pants! I have jumped from an airplane with no parachute, it was parked on the tarmack! The Yoga will help you get your mind right on the line. Very relaxing.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

MSD says not to use a dial back light with their ignition....don't know why though.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
MSD says not to use a dial back light with their ignition....don't know why though.

Because they wont read correct is the answer I got, I know some who dont have issues but I know others who had issues for weeks before trying another light.

I personally have 2 lights, 1 Craftsman, and 1 flaming river without the power leads it uses 2 batteries that one makes it easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -