Who to build a new converter?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Who to build a new converter?

I am trying to decide about having a current converter freshened for preventative maintenance while having my trans freshened or having a new one built. Presently nothing wrong with either and both seem to be right for my use. 3000# door car, 496 BBC, PG with brake, 8" TCI converter. 1/8 mile drag racing, brackets.

I am leaning toward new converter and sell old one. But I don't know who to have build one. Old converter is PG spline input. Going to turbo spline in trans and converter.

Have had good luck with CONTINENTAL in California the past.

What builders have you guys had good experience with?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

That's a very loaded question, as there are many very good builders out there. ATI, FTI, Chance, Ultimate, Select, Coan.....just to name a few. Several of them can also cut your's open, freshen it, and convert it to a turbo spline, and possibly for a lot less than a new one. My suggestion would be to call several and ask questions....Then go with who you feel the most comfortable.

Big thing to remember, is EVERYBODY will have a favorite builder that they've had good luck with, and someone else didn't for other reasons......So you're likely to get 50 different answers from 50 different people.....

We even have a VERY good builder here in Denver.....

Sorry this doesn't recommend someone for you, but it's a little more than that....
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I've personally only dealt with 2, Continental and FTI. Both have been great. Most of my experience has been with Kris @ Continental and he always hit the mark.

I'm buying my 2nd FTI as we speak....

Johnny
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've ran everyone listed here but the Ultimate, Hands down Hughes Performance offers the best product out of the box the first go around. Bte a close second. I've ran so many converters I've lost count in the last 5 years. Sense I've started selling parts, I sell more Hughes and BTE product then anything else, because they can be bolted in and race for years to come. Not only that but they build some of the most consistent,fastest pieces you will see.

Nothing worse then a converter company missing by a mile and needing to yank it all back and ship it back.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Alan Pope from Hillard Fl for the win. Super nice guy and very reasonable on his pricing.

I run a Greg Slack converter (still run Alan's trans and will never change that) now only because of a deal I worked out with a friend.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I have been pleased with my Abruzzi stuff. I will say that his converters are very bracket friendly and tend to be just a tick soft on the hit as far as 60' but are very consistent down track. Marco is now doing a 9 inch bolt together converter. Thinking about trying one of these.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

FTI here. No better customer service from any company.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'll toss my friend and fellow racer in the hunt. and that being PTC, if you don't like it he'll fix it, he not just a builder he's a weekend racer and runs 3 cars in the tuff 6.0 and 7.0 heads up class, he was the national 7.0 champ in 2013, i'm also friends with BTE, mr Bill Tayor for the last 13 yrs, i know the whole family, they are a close 2nd in my opinion. Both give excellent service but PTC is a little more hands on.

JMO

Zip.

PS, if you go to PTC, don't tell him i sent you there, he'll probably charge you double if you do. :P :lol:
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I second Zip. I have used both for years...
Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 PM
jtortorete
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Mark,

Sorry for this late reply, but I am old and slow!! It is a long answer but most old people have nothing but time, so they tend to ramble on.

I believe the mysteries of good converter building was been solved by most well known converter people these days. So I go against the advise of many people an buy from a rather unknown name in the converter business. His success and knowledge does not require him to have a trade mark name, he is will known other wise.

I buy from him because he remembers where is roots came from, and he remembers that, when dealing with the blue collar racer. I would put this products against the best well known names out there. and I do not need to take a loan out on my home to get a good converter.

The key to a good converter is efficiency. It needs to transfer engine performance to the transmission, consistently on every pass, with little loss of efficiency?

All fluid couplings depend today on the years of experience of a builder especially in the materials and parts used to build a converter, plus the best methods to assemble the same.

The trouble converter builders have is the "lies" car owners tell about their engine performance, and the lack of knowledge of a car that owner should know to get a good converter built .

As we all know, "garbage in gives you garbage out". For example, the weight of your car with driver, helps the builder decide what size converter to build, plus other every important information. Not many car owners know that exact weight of their cars.

So now that I have bored you all, but you did read this far, write me back if you are interested in knowing this mystery man.

JT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -