GEAR ?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by vega34
i'm going to put the 456 in it and give it a try before checking into the converter,,,i believe the converter is tight but he don't want to think so,,,it is a 5800 ptc,,i'm going to flash it on my car and see what it will flash,,he thinks my motor is weak and not making enough horsepower,i don't think so

my motor is a 400 30 over flat top pistons,670 something roller cam,eagle rods,eagle standard stroke crank(cast)brodix heads after all the angle milling and pocket porting there about 240 plus cc w/208 valves,100%new bearings(rod,main,cam,all new gaskets,brand new engine,,i'm thinking a 406 with about 600 hp,,,what you think,,its not my motor,,,,steve
Do this before ya change the gear, go out to the car pull the launch chip and stall it this way and see what it goes to. Do not hold it there for long ( but just see where it goes, this will not be the same as the track stall flash but will give us a idea. I still think its tight, a motor of that size/power can get away with 6200-6300 in a digger. This may save you the time and money or a gear change.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
i'm going to put the 456 in it and give it a try before checking into the converter,,,i believe the converter is tight but he don't want to think so,,,it is a 5800 ptc,,i'm going to flash it on my car and see what it will flash,,he thinks my motor is weak and not making enough horsepower,i don't think so

my motor is a 400 30 over flat top pistons,670 something roller cam,eagle rods,eagle standard stroke crank(cast)brodix heads after all the angle milling and pocket porting there about 240 plus cc w/208 valves,100%new bearings(rod,main,cam,all new gaskets,brand new engine,,i'm thinking a 406 with about 600 hp,,,what you think,,its not my motor,,,,steve
Do this before ya change the gear, go out to the car pull the launch chip and stall it this way and see what it goes to. Do not hold it there for long ( but just see where it goes, this will not be the same as the track stall flash but will give us a idea. I still think its tight, a motor of that size/power can get away with 6200-6300 in a digger. This may save you the time and money or a gear change.

sorry but i already took it down to have the gear put in,,i took the center section to my trans builder,i went with a 456 gear,,i think the 488 would be a little to much for my rpm's,i want to stay under 7000 for sure,,i'm going to start leaving the line at 4400 or 4600 i think 4800is just a way to start spinning the tires,i want to shift at 6600 or 6400 and not 6800,i think 6800 is to much for a cast crank(eagle),i will flash it as soon as i put the gear and tires back on,

i could be wrong on the finish line rpm,but i am pretty sure it was either 6000 or 6200,,i think my friend has a tach were i can recall,maybe i can check it for sure this friday

another thing guys i forgot to mention,last friday the car ran a 5.50,5.52,5.55,,,took it back this weekend and ran a 5.87,5.78,5.71,5.71,,we change the timing from the first week,but after the 5.87 we started changing the timing to find were we was,i will say a lot of ppl were running a lot slower,just before we raced they cut all the rubber off the track and maybe put down to much vht,i'm hoping with the 456 gear and a better track and find a good timing,it will run a 5.40's,,,steve
Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 AM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

ok put the 456 gear in it and took it to the track last night and it went 5.30's with a 1.17 60' ,,steve
Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

ok put the 456 gear in it and took it to the track last night and it went 5.30's with a 1.17 60' ,,steve
so it gained only 3 in the 60 but gained 2 tenths after that ? What was the rpm change ? Conv flash, recovery after shift and weather better ? did you also check the gear and make sure it was a 4:10 and not a 3.90 ?
You want to help the 60ft more ? 4 link 4 link 4 link, car had a bb in before and is setup a bit different then a sb car, how many holes from the bottom is the top front bar ? Good to see gains for sure, but a lot fo the gear change you made.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

so it gained only 3 in the 60 but gained 2 tenths after that ? What was the rpm change ? Conv flash, recovery after shift and weather better ? did you also check the gear and make sure it was a 4:10 and not a 3.90 ?
You want to help the 60ft more ? 4 link 4 link 4 link, car had a bb in before and is setup a bit different then a sb car, how many holes from the bottom is the top front bar ? Good to see gains for sure, but a lot fo the gear change you made.

Dave i should of said 5.39 that's in the 30's LOL,and that was hand shifting with no light just guessing were to shift at,the 2 step was shifting it way to soon,,but we dead locked the distributor and set the timing on 40,,weather was hot but did cool off when it got dark,not sure what your ? is on the gear,,the gear i had in it was a 433 and now i put a 456 in it,,the 4 link bar in the top front is in the fifth hole from the bottom,,and the bottom 4 link is in the second hole from bottom,,thanks steve
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Dave i should of said 5.39 that's in the 30's LOL,and that was hand shifting with no light just guessing were to shift at,the 2 step was shifting it way to soon,,but we dead locked the distributor and set the timing on 40,,weather was hot but did cool off when it got dark,not sure what your ? is on the gear,,the gear i had in it was a 433 and now i put a 456 in it,,the 4 link bar in the top front is in the fifth hole from the bottom,,and the bottom 4 link is in the second hole from bottom,,thanks steve
ah I got ya so a bunch of little changes may of affected it, any ideas why it was shifting so fast ? If you want a little more 60ft move that top front bar down 1 hole Take advantage of it
Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 PM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

ah I got ya so a bunch of little changes may of affected it, any ideas why it was shifting so fast ? If you want a little more 60ft move that top front bar down 1 hole Take advantage of it

what will it do to the et overall ?,,i said 2 step but rpm act.switch are together,,something in the switches(2 step ,act switches)i guess,we put it in low and held the transbrake a mash the gas and it stuttered at 4600 and as soon as we let out of gas it changed into second,so something in the wire,,we are going to wire it into the mega 450 box and run it off the rpm's in the mega 450 box,,steve
Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

what will it do to the et overall ?,,i said 2 step but rpm act.switch are together,,something in the switches(2 step ,act switches)i guess,we put it in low and held the transbrake a mash the gas and it stuttered at 4600 and as soon as we let out of gas it changed into second,so something in the wire,,we are going to wire it into the mega 450 box and run it off the rpm's in the mega 450 box,,steve
figure out whats wired wrong, shifting by rpm in the mega box is illegal in both nhra and ihra. If you get the 60ft faster it should gain et also, no reason you can dip into the 20's with things right at this point. My best suggestion is hook up the tach in the mega box and hook up the replay and take all guess work out of what things are actually at.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

why do they even make boxes that serve as a delay box and an rpm activated switch? Like you said it's illegal.....and only bracket racers would buy a delay box, so..
Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
why do they even make boxes that serve as a delay box and an rpm activated switch? Like you said it's illegal.....and only bracket racers would buy a delay box, so..
its been replaced with the Elite 500 without them features now

you can still use the tach during testing and watch the reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -