torque converter won't line up with flywheel

Old 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
pipes434sbc
APPRENTICE

PS after opening holes on flywheel & bolts go in nice,make sure all 3 ears on converter are flush on flywheel the same.you might have to shim one or two or not.I have seen a few TCI`s with two ears flush & the last one needing a small washer to be perfect.you want it to pull converter to flywheel even & straight.Guess sometimes when they weld them ears on not always perfect.just sometimes.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i taped them it worked good. theres 6 tabs instead of 3 called tci they said some guys use all 6 but 3 is good enough but you said you used spacer i noticed a gap i just torqued it down until there wasn't any . after reading what you said i took bolts back out . spun torque converter the gap is big on top bolts tight at bottom turned motor over 180 degrees now gap is on bottom tight on top like flex plate is bent or motor isn't lined up . just ran up measured flex plate to oil pan turned motor 180 degrees flex plate is bent 1/8 inch crank is ok checked it same way if i just torque it down will this work it is called a flex plate that converter should pull it right in correct?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
phoenix1
SHOW GUEST

Default torque converter

you need to be very careful pulling the flexplate that much,i have replaced a plate because i did this and it cracked.You need to make sure that the converter is bottoming in the back of the crank correctly.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

you mean the flex plate i think . it is. how can i tell if the flex plate is for internally or externally balanced engines?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
pipes434sbc
APPRENTICE

Just about to eat dinner,but want to help.We had our holiday july 1st.,guess yours is today.Is this motor internally balanced or external?Is flywheel new?,is it sfi approved?If it has weights on one side it is externally balanced.Your builder should have went through this with you.This is VERY important.you do not want to mix this up,you will wipe out the bottom end.If you mix this up & start engine the only good news is you will notice right away by the awful vibration.Don`t test it,more info needed.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM
pipes434sbc
APPRENTICE

p.s. (again) if you are asking this question,know this,the dampner on the front of this motor has to match as well.(internal external)The internals are smooth on outer edge. External usually grooved. Both will be at least specified on packaging.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Gezzzzzzzz, glad I'm buying a T/S converter and I bet everything lines up right the first time. I had the same problem with a tci converter I bought for one of my cars, also had a soft foot on one of the pads that needed to be shimmed, what a bunch of crap! The only ones I ever hear of not lining up are tci's? You'd think after as many phones calls they get about peoples converters not lining up they would do some Q/A.