Car pulling to the right on initial hit...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
b1valiant
APPRENTICE

Default Car pulling to the right on initial hit...

I have a 4 link strut car that I seem to be having some isseus with. never had any issues with the old engine til now. The new bullet it about 200+ more hp than the old one. Also about 120lbs lighter. Anyway car goes right at the release of the button, drives straight and true after that but always right at the hit. It also tends to wheelstand a bit in good air. The car was scaled and numbers all looked good, dont have them in front of me but I was about 18-20lbs heavy on RR. Car runs low 8's here but was in Vegas running 8.40/50's. I will post a little video someone else took of the car. Mine is toward the end of the video the gray and orange car last two passes on the video. Anyway looking for advice, critisism etc. We have tried a bunch so dont be afraid to ad any input. Oh yeah explain it in laymans terms as i am thinking I have missed something.

Here is the video clip..Remember i am at the end of it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49478582500118
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

look's like the wheelie bars are unloadeing the car. if you have adj. shocks up front, you can stiffen them to slow the front end down some, also stiffen rebound in the rear, to take some hit out of the car.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
b1valiant
APPRENTICE

If you can slow it down you will see the car is headed right before it gets to the bar..I have tried front struts loose and stiff with no change.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default pulling to right

Have you had it checked to see if the frame is squared?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by b1valiant
If you can slow it down you will see the car is headed right before it gets to the bar..I have tried front struts loose and stiff with no change.
you are hitting the tire's hard, it look's like you are useing up 75% or more of your wheelie bar gap, before the car start's to rotate, caused from smashing the tires, did you make any adjustment between these two runs?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

are you saying the car is 20lbs heavy on the right rear with you in the car ? :shock: :shock:

i am no professional chassis tuner but i have had guys scale me car who are and we have always ended up about 15 lbs heavy on left rear.

if you think about it..the car tranfers to the right rear..if your already 20lbs heavy on right rear...

again i am really not qualified enough to give chassis lectures..can only repeat how my car was set up in the past...

P.S.

where you from ? the backdrop at the track is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!...SO IS THE TRACK !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

What have you done with the pre-load on the four link bars? If anything. You said new engine is lighter and more horse power, that can change the rotation of the rear end. The tire with the most load will push the car off coarse. in your case to the right meaning there is more load on the left rear. Keep in mind that all chassis are different and will react differently to changes. Also that with previous adjustments with the lower horspower engine might not be the same with the new engine and more horsepower. Good luck
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
b1valiant
APPRENTICE

The video is from Las Vegas. I am from Northern California and the car is usually .4 and 5mph quicker here.

We have scaled the car and to this point only added an additional flat of preload. Have played with the shocks and added weight to the nose of the car as well. The car goes right as soon as the button is released. While I agree the bars may be steering it the fact remains if you can see good video and slow it down the car goes straight right as soon as the button is released.

I am looking and listening to all. We plan to ad more preload to the car but just curious if there is a point where you have gone to far with preload, or is this even possible? Maybe masking another issue. We have checked the chassis and rear end and all appears well. I am questioning one of the rear shocks right now. Just looking for input.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not a chassis tuner either, but you can switch the shocks left to right to check them out, also maybe add a 1/2 lb of air to the right side slick. I watched the vid also, and that other Baracuda was hitting the left wheelie bar first and hard, but running straight. I once had a car that i ran airbags for the rear suspension with 50/50 shocks (a long time ago) and i had to put 8 lbs more air in the right bag, if i didn't it would take out the right side guard rail. It wasn't as fast as your car but it did run 148 mph, that was before the full adjustable shocks were available.
I don't have the solution, just bringing up a couple point. Billy Shope probably has a much better answer than most people on here and for sure knows his stuff.
Here's his web site, and if he's not looking on tonite you can probably PM him, i think he's listed at the top of the page or look thru some of the threads here and find one of his post.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

you guys don't think he needs to heat the tires up a bit more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -