35 Spline Strange Axles w/Twisted Spline

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 AM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

Default 35 Spline Strange Axles w/Twisted Spline

I bought a new dragster and took apart the rear-end only to find that my right rear axle splines are twisted about 1 spline. I sent the axle to Strange for the engineering department to harden test and check. These are 35 spline gun drilled lightened, made of the 9310 'race' steel. The guy from strange calls me and says the hardness test is within spec, no cracks, and the spline twist is under the maximum of 2 twists. They recommend to keep running the axle becuase there is nothing wrong with it. They tell me it's designed to twist and actually become stronger upon twist. The motor that twisted the axle made about 1000 HP and I will be running a motor that only makes about 750 HP. I really am not certain whether or not I should buy a new one, or do what Strange tells me to do? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Derek
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default reply

Hey Derek,

Man, that is a tuff call by Strange to say that!!!! :shock: I too have an axle that has a slight twist to it but not quite a full spline. I have a heavy vehicle and 31 splined axles of a different brand, and, if I had equal length axles, I would almost consider in swaping them over to re-twist the axle back, but then this would be the BAD thing to do imo...
Do you want to take that chance that it may break down track under speed, or at the hit and take you right into the wall? You may want to rethink using it in your near future, and get another axle, or another new pair just to be safe, and don't have them gun drilled, so that the shaft itself can absorb more of the twist vs. the splines, you don't need this in the back of your mind, my 2 cents worth.

ElkyJohn
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

Default Re: reply

Strange told me that the gun-drilled axles are the toughest most durable axles that they produce??

Derek

Originally Posted by elkymann
Hey Derek,

Man, that is a tuff call by Strange to say that!!!! :shock: I too have an axle that has a slight twist to it but not quite a full spline. I have a heavy vehicle and 31 splined axles of a different brand, and, if I had equal length axles, I would almost consider in swaping them over to re-twist the axle back, but then this would be the BAD thing to do imo...
Do you want to take that chance that it may break down track under speed, or at the hit and take you right into the wall? You may want to rethink using it in your near future, and get another axle, or another new pair just to be safe, and don't have them gun drilled, so that the shaft itself can absorb more of the twist vs. the splines, you don't need this in the back of your mind, my 2 cents worth.

ElkyJohn
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Look how much power a driveshaft absorbs, the outer diameter takes the beating. The part they drill out has little to do with the strength. And while I agree it's not a bad time to change, but if Strange thought it was an issue they would be trying to sell you new ones.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not disagreeing with Strange, Lord knows they should know what they're talking about. But for my conscious sake I'd probably get a new axle. I'd have that in the back of my head everytime I went to the line. Just because on twisted doesnt mean the next one will. One thing to think about is: I don't think you would have posted this thread if you really didn't have reservations about running it.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

Trust me...I know it will be in the back of my head. But if Strange has the axle in there hands, and the experts say there is nothing to worry about? I wish i never would have taken it apart!!

quote="dparker"]I'm not disagreeing with Strange, Lord knows they should know what they're talking about. But for my conscious sake I'd probably get a new axle. I'd have that in the back of my head everytime I went to the line. Just because on twisted doesnt mean the next one will. One thing to think about is: I don't think you would have posted this thread if you really didn't have reservations about running it.[/quote]
Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
Trust me...I know it will be in the back of my head. But if Strange has the axle in there hands, and the experts say there is nothing to worry about? I wish i never would have taken it apart!!

[/quote]

Now thats some funny Sh#t. :lol: I'm not laughing at you but Ive been in your shoes one to many times Derek. Good luck, either way you go I think you'll be ok. God Bless buddy
Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

For a piece of mind.....i would replace them before I made another pass :shock: Spend 600 bucks or replace that dragster if it breaks..JMO
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
robertstell
APPRENTICE

Default axles

Old fella told me once at the track, he said boy, your car is only as strong as its weakest link... I would replace it...Makes me wonder why they dont sell twisted axles to begin with if they say yours is ok. I have run Strange Euipment in the past as well, and have had no problem with big HP motors twisting anything up, but if I did, it would get replaced just for the peice of mind, Rob...