roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Keep us posted on the outcome . .

It's cool to learn stuff . . . .
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Most cars and trucks today have the voltage regulator in the computer. The computer controls and keeps the volts and amps at a steady rate to keep from having voltage drops. The lite will come on if there is one thing out of range, like if you turn on your head lights and pulls to much volts.

I had a Ford Freestar in my shop with the alt lite on, replaced a blown fuse just to find out the alt was bad to. I put a new alt in and after a few seconds the lite came back on. I hooked up my scanner and everything look gook, this thing drove me crazy. I called up a buddy of mine from ford dealer and he brought over there lap top and i was amazed at all the wave patterns that the alt was putting out, a/c, fuel pump, cooling fans etc. I looked at him and said dam I need that lap top as my scanner don't pick up half that, anyways after looking at everything he found nothing wrong but the lite was on. I went back and replaced the battery with a new one and still the lite was on, check the amps and the volts at the bat and at the alt check good. I went back to the fuses and the fuse I had already replaced had blown again so I replaced it and all was good. I am not saying that that's your problem just something to check as there could be a number of things. Good luck Just trying to help.

The cars and trucks today are getting to be harder and harder to fix with all of the elc crap on them and running though the computer.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wazup
Most cars and trucks today have the voltage regulator in the computer. The computer controls and keeps the volts and amps at a steady rate to keep from having voltage drops. The lite will come on if there is one thing out of range, like if you turn on your head lights and pulls to much volts.

I had a Ford Freestar in my shop with the alt lite on, replaced a blown fuse just to find out the alt was bad to. I put a new alt in and after a few seconds the lite came back on. I hooked up my scanner and everything look gook, this thing drove me crazy. I called up a buddy of mine from ford dealer and he brought over there lap top and i was amazed at all the wave patterns that the alt was putting out, a/c, fuel pump, cooling fans etc. I looked at him and said dam I need that lap top as my scanner don't pick up half that, anyways after looking at everything he found nothing wrong but the lite was on. I went back and replaced the battery with a new one and still the lite was on, check the amps and the volts at the bat and at the alt check good. I went back to the fuses and the fuse I had already replaced had blown again so I replaced it and all was good. I am not saying that that's your problem just something to check as there could be a number of things. Good luck Just trying to help.

The cars and trucks today are getting to be harder and harder to fix with all of the elc crap on them and running though the computer.
yep... and ford also has a low voltage wire that sends a signal to the alt that turns on the alt after it starts.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default light

I will dig into it tonight, I do appreciate the tech support. Thanks
I also alerted the company that I bought the alt from to see if they any suggestions...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

sigh.....I miss the good old days of generators...... :cry: :cry:
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default the light

Rechecked my work seems to be OK, spoke to a tech @ the company where I bought the alternator, seem to be good dudes, he wants the numbers off the original alternator to verify I have the right one. Did not check any fuse yet, thats next after speaking to the alt guys.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default light

the manu. says proper replacement, gonna send another alt, ..will update when more happens
jeff
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

It is possible that you got a defective alternator but the charge circuit and indicator are controlled by the PCM. The alternator still has a regulator built into it on that model. You really need a good scan tool to properly diagnose the problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default light

I am lucky enought to have some buddies in the mechanic trade, so I may be there next, weather here is hot as hell and they work w/o AC no need to bother them (yet) . They have scan tools , I got another alt coming, so when it comes I will install it and if the same problem scanner time. Thanks guys so far, alot of good support. I will update when I get it figured out, but still open to suggestions. Stay cool
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default light still on

new alt did not fix the problem, started checking fuses, all good so far ??????