BBC BLOCK W/ O RINGS, ANY HEAD GASKET BESIDES COPPER?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bowler
Zip and Mark thanks again for your help, yep I did use a cheap torque wrench with bolts (came with arp bolts), the one thing that I did not do was re-torque!, only reason that I pulled the heads was to have them ported and all looked good except 1 chamber (white specs), I will call Al about cutting receiver grooves in the heads. Thanks again Doug
Doug i know it's an added expense but i always use studs instead of bolts, they torque more accurately and put less strain on the block threads, due to chenging from couse threads on top to fine pitch threads, you can also seal the studs in the block with bolt set locktite, which seals them and they can be removed later if necessary.
I don't use ARP studs because there are cheaper ones out there that work just as well.

Zip.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Zip what brand of studs do you use just wondering.
What about main studs next time I go thru my motor ( hopefully next winter) I thought about studding the motor not trying to steal the thread.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM
bowler
SENIOR BUILDER

Default head studs

Zip I was looking for head studs, only found procomp or arp? Doug
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: head studs

Zip I was looking for head studs, only found procomp or arp? Doug
I use procomp head studs, since i'm a procomp dealer, they work fine and i've never had a problem with them. I've probably sold 25 to 30 sets of them mostly sm/blk though. I don't have any b/blk sets on the shelve, otherwise i'd send you a set. I would buy the extra long since you're running alum heads which are a little taller. You can get them here, with free shipping (i've dealt with Racers outlet in the past and they are pretty good to deal with)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ProComp-...#ht_1272wt_822

Zip.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I will call Al about cutting receiver grooves in the heads. Thanks again Doug
I would guess that was the issue more than anything if you did not already have reciever grooves in the heads...