Which Oil For Break-in?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Default Which Oil For Break-in?

Finishing my 383 SBC and I need to pick an oil to run. I want to run synthetic but I need a break-in oil so I was looking at the Joe Gibbs line, any suggestions on which weight? I know there will be more info needed to make a suggestion so ask away. Also, which weight synthetic and how many hours should I run the break-in oil before switching?
Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

If you are running a comp cam they have oil just for break in. Follow the instructions with the cam I believe it's 1800 to 2200
Rpm for 20 minutes varying the rpm but double check me on that it should be in the cam installation instructions as for weight I have used
Straight 30 weight in the past for break in. After the initial break in run change the oil if it a street motor I would not use synthetic at the first change put a few hundred miles on it and change it again and use what you want as far as synthetic goes. I am not saying comp oil is better than joe Gibbs it just what I have used for break in before.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Have used Rotella 10-40 for years as break in oil.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Which

Same here plus GM EOS additive or ZDDP additive.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

This is the oil we use, we have tested all the other name brands. This is by far the best break-in oil we have found.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/lubri...l-1-quart.html
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Someplace back down the list of posts is a great piece of information by an independent testor . .

Go read it . . . anything put up here in this thread is either redundant or possibly just opinion. I had several of my own "opinions" before I read it . . Now I have a lot fewer!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Someplace back down the list of posts is a great piece of information by an independent testor . .
I figured there would be I just didn't find it, any idea of the thread title?

This is a solid roller race application with a single carb on gasoline that will be run on a stand before heading to the dyno shop, how many hours should I put on it before changing to synthetic oil? What break-in procedure would you suggest?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Here ya go . . read it completely before you form any kind of opinion.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.oilextreme.com/index.html
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kend

This is a solid roller race application with a single carb on gasoline that will be run on a stand before heading to the dyno shop, how many hours should I put on it before changing to synthetic oil? What break-in procedure would you suggest?
Just the way I do it. Fill with break in oil. Start motor and run doing all the checks, leaks, timing, etc. until you have good heat in the motor. Let it cool, pull filter and cut apart. Replace filter and lost oil.

Go to track. Make a few passes 3 or 10 no set number, whatever you feel comfortable with. Come home cut the filter apart and change to the oil of your choice. I have been running the Amsoil Dominator racing. I have had great results with it, but I am going to be changing to Lucas 10w-30 synthetic racing oil. I can get the Lucas for about the same money, they are huge supporters of my sport, after researching I believe it will work a little better with methanol and I have never liked the way the Amsoil turns brown from red even though it doesn't hurt a thing.

JMO

Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -