wierd high exaust temps

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I've never heard of any class rules 'banning' and alternator ! WHAT is the reasoning behind THAT ?!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hansbuddy70
well normally I run around *36 advance but it made a noticeable difference in power on the dyno at 40, forgot to mention that, but the guy running the dyno said that makes some sense because we aren't allowd to have an alternator and have to run a stock ish HEI ignition and they don't make much spark at 12 volts?? Maby I just need to back down the timing cuz the dyno and the track are two different things
OK, pretty much the bottom of the problem. The "Dyno Guy". He was running it for peak HP, not a curve that you can use on an oval track. At 40°, top end was probably marvelous but coming out of a corner hard unless you were up into the top of the power band wasn't (or shouldn't have been) very impressive. Sounds like an eighth mile Drag Racing Tune Up, almost . .

Running a total loss ignition system with an HEI sounds kind of weird because a stock HEI demands about 20 amps at 6000 RPM or under load, so if you have more than a ten lap heat on a quarter mile track, you're pretty much out of battery. Or at least that's been my experience way back when.

We ran an alternator off the Pinion Yoke, and at the time that was kind of a big deal because of the room required for one of those big ole GM alternators, but today, with 100A alternators the size of a pocket watch, that would be the way I'd go . . I can't imagine a rule like that for Oval Track racing . . Unless the guy who makes the rules also sells magnetos . .
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

YellaBraick, I don't think hansbuddy really means 'ban' alternators, its just that us short track circle jerks only run about 10 lap heats and 20 lap mains so a good red top Optima will have plenty of juice through the night, and then some, so why drag around a power robbing alternator if not needed, the same reason as your strip car...?
I disagree though that an HEI will lose any juice or power, that is until the battery is nearly dead...?
Get rid of the Proform and buy a really good balancer, before the ring comes off that Proform and goes through your radiator... I've seen it happen... :O(

Yes hansbuddy, nearly every SBC engine I have ever raced in circle track, no matter what size or configuration, have all dialed in right at or close to the 36* mark. My freshly dynoed 406 made no more recordable power or torque from 36* thru 40*, so we set it back on 36. You can push your luck trying more, but why take the chance burning down all your hard earned money...? There are enough other things you can break to make your wallet cry, don't chance it for just a small fraction of power that you probably can't put down onto the track anyways...?
Do you know how traction control device works...? It picks up wheel spin and sends a signal to retard your distributor timing to trim off power and slow down engine response so your tires stay hooked up when you can't control your lead foot. That's why traction control is higly illegal in almost all circle track sanctioning bodies, with very heavy fines and long suspensions if caught with one...!

Remember that reliability, consistency, and smooth driving is what wins almost all races, and you can't win if you don't finish, so it is better to err on the side of conservative in circle track racing, and learn to be a winning driver instead of an exibition of power. Any great dirt circle track driver will tell you that "slower is faster"... meaning put an egg under the gas peddle and one under the brake peddle, and finish the race without breaking either one... :O)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

When I was in oval track, lots of guys would run without an alternator, but have to put it on a charger between races.(way before Optima)

IMHO The infinitesimal gain of horsepower WITHOUT an alternator, is not advantageous enough to put the 'in the back of your mind' addition of starting, ignition, cooling fan electrical drain. I always ran without a crew(no one wanted to WORK at winning) so the less I had to worry about the better. I never had a dns/dnf cuz I ran out of juice as many others did. I always had plenty of battery to hot start and had full juice available for the ignition.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
hansbuddy70
SHOW GUEST

no I can not run an alternator, I know, dumbest rule ever but some clown somewhere made a dummy alternator and had traction control in it so IMCA banned it in all v8 classes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Wow, what class do you run...? I have raced IMCA A-Mod for several years, and I just read my rules every word for word, and I don't find it in our rules...? I would like to find that rule so I can point it out and inform all my friends in those classes...
Are you sure it is an IMCA rule, or maybe just a track rule...?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 AM
hansbuddy70
SHOW GUEST

wow I should read the rules better, they are allowed again but they did take them away from us a couple years ago and I assumed still couldn't use them, guess I know what i'm adding to the car this weekend!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default wierd

Need a good deal on a 100 amp MSD alternator with traction control?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: wierd

Originally Posted by markdunlap
Need a good deal on a 100 amp MSD alternator with traction control?
Troublemaker . . . Heh, heh . . .
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe its a really a gyroscope inside a alternator housing :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -