motor go boom

Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Before setting ANY intake manifold on my engines, I RELIGIOUSLY shake rattle and roll that intake. It's amazing how easily a stray fastener can get places you don't expect, especially when thrashing late at night :shock:
Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Tough break. Keep you chin up.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

1) Was there beer involved in this installation?

2) BE very sure before asking /accusing a friend,especially if they were helping. It's easy to get mouthy/emotional when something like that happens,you don't want to lose a friendship over it unless you are sure..and in which case they weren't your friend anyway.

3) When I work on my engine, NOBODY is allowed in the garage.....I'm serious.... I lock the door. You would be surprised at the silly mistakes that can happen while you are yacking/shooting the bull. Steps get skipped or forgotten etc.

Keep on working bad stuff happens to everyone.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
1) Was there beer involved in this installation?

2) BE very sure before asking /accusing a friend,especially if they were helping. It's easy to get mouthy/emotional when something like that happens,you don't want to lose a friendship over it unless you are sure..and in which case they weren't your friend anyway.

3) When I work on my engine, NOBODY is allowed in the garage.....I'm serious.... I lock the door. You would be surprised at the silly mistakes that can happen while you are yacking/shooting the bull. Steps get skipped or forgotten etc.

Keep on working bad stuff happens to everyone.
Heh heh, X2
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

:roll: Something about this whole post has me questioning it's validity. How much lift would the cam have to allow those parts to pass?
Dave
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Not me, It'd take just enough lift to let an errant part hang a valve open. That'd be plenty, 'to git er done'. After that, it's just gonna eat. No offense intended Dave.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Not me, It'd take just enough lift to let an errant part hang a valve open. That'd be plenty, 'to git er done'. After that, it's just gonna eat. No offense intended Dave.
No offense taken... but what do you do when you adjust valves and come up a ball and adjusting nut short?
How could you crank the engine to blow it up? The starter will turn over untll the motor comes to a dead stop - no more than two revolutions.
JMO of course.....
Dave
*Edited for spelling*
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

the way i see it after pondering this there had to be spare parts put in. cause i know we always "get close" before firing and would have noticed the fact that they werent there. but so idk one this one anymore. thes are just my humble opinion and experiences
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Originally Posted by suicidebomb
No offense taken... but what do you do when you adjust valves and come up a ball and adjusting nut short?
How could you crank the engine to blow it up? The starter will turn over untll the motor comes to a dead stop - no more than two revolutions.
JMO of course.....
Dave
*Edited for spelling*
Ain't exactly crossed this bridge, But here goes: I reckon I'd run madly thru the general shop area, waving my arms, screaming I'm one rocker ball, and one adjusting nut short!!?!! ops: :lol: Then, I'd get to finding it. But if I didn't know it was in the intake....
Maybe it didn't fall thru the first time the valve opened, It ain't such a stretch to see something not falling thru till, it bounced around the intake some. I've seen weirder, How about you?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

see thats where i know it wasnt my mistake cause it wasnt missing off of my motor i had all parts accounted for i triple checked that i was attempting to be very careful and it didnt happen because if i was missing the rocker ball and adjuster nut i would have noticed when setting the valves but the worst part was mowhay set the valves and it ran fine with his valves settings because they were wayyyy to tight and didnt let the extra parts fall through but when the valves were set correctly they opoened enough to let them flow freely right to the cylinders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -