rons toilet help

Old 01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
tylera189
SHOW GUEST

are you letting it idle with the fuel all the way on. If so that would make the egt's real low. And also milk the oil up. I ran the toilet for the first time last year. And never milked the oil up. Guessing by your EGT's at idle it sounds like you are idling at full fuel. Also I dont want to bash James Monroe, he does know his stuff. But he sold me to big of pump, then sold me all kinds of pills and nozzles to correct it, which it never did. So I called Ron's they agreed with me that the pump was to big, they told me to call James and tell him what we discussed and get him to swap my pump for no charge. Well he got ticked and refused to do that. So i called rons back and they swapped it free of charge. So I set it where they said to and picked up .2 and my EGT's were where they were supposed to be. So in my opinion Rons knows there stuff too. Dont put all your eggs in one basket with James
Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jed5161
while on subject of rons toilets....i got an issue thats been hurting us all last season. heres what i had (motor ended up dieing due to broken crank). 511 bbc. profiler cnc ported heads. sniper intake. 4.100 toilet. tried both O 1/2 billet and standard black pumps. started with .036 nozzles. leaned it back to .033 due to down track "popping". that fixed that. I never could get the motor to hit the converter hard until i put the small nozzles in it but even after nozzles in it, it still had a hesitation at hit. it would rev to 3500-3700 then hesitate for a split second then up to converter solid at 6200 (no chip). The only way i got it to cleanly go up against the converter was to lean it out on the barrel and it was too much to keep the motor temp to maintain and even keep the engine running at idle. Idle egt's would be 800-900 degrees. We backed the barrel off and just lived with it. I believe we were at 19% leak. Another note is we installed a higher pressure idle poppet inline to try get better fuel atomization and flow better. Which seemed to help out quite a bit itself.

We had this toilet throttle body/barrel valve assembly on two different motors and had the same issue. One engine was in a different car and they ordered a new toilet of the same model with the original setup with had (.036 nozzles, std idle pressure, etc. aka out of the box) and it ran perfect.

Anybody have any ideas or have ran into this problem? I'm leaning towards a barrel valve problem.
Did you take the check valve out of the barrel valve ? James does this but Rons does not. Sounds like the issue to me.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 AM
pintoracer
APPRENTICE

im pretty much done with james to me hes a guy with his fair share of money and wants more i will try like hell to use the stuff i have i think it will work i know of to many people using pumps that are way to big with no problems
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 AM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

normally i run enderele bird catchers on all my motors. i wanted to have the tall scoop to get catch air above the roll cage on the dragster. I've ran the toilets before on my old 68 camaro super gas car. Never had any problems with that system either.

I took the check valve out of the barrel when i put the higher psi poppet inline.

and yes the fuels all the way on. as far i know the egts are way high at idle during that situation. Which normally indicated its lean. The way the motor acted it was lean. Hesitation, lean backfiring, water temp gaining too quickly, etc. All my other systems idle temp egt temp would be in the 550-650 range. my high egt after a run would be 1120-1200 on this motor when it did run a clean pass. My 540 liked it about 1000-1100.

One other issue i forgot to mention was it seemed like the first pass of every day, the motor wouldn't get up the converter no matter what the tune up. It would rev to the 3500-3800 and stay there while on the brake. Carried it out to see what it would do once and after it cleaned out (100 ft-120ft out) it took off and ran fine. Lean it out one pill size and it would be fine for the next run. Then the next pass it would want the original pill back it in. It would be fine the rest of the night. Theres time i would be changin pills 4-5 times a day between 3 pill sizes (110, 112, 116)
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
scooby389b
APPRENTICE

Zip,what size pump do you run?I would use a 0 on his combo.An idle bypass will not work with his b valve as no provisions on early valves.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
scooby389b
APPRENTICE

Jed,poppet in Rons bv is just a start aid and is better off removed,Adding one is not nesc. All you did was add a restriction in main bypass return line.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys when I get stuck with any injection problem, heck with any problem at all on a car. Scooby (Steve) is the man I go to he is VERY sharp all around and is awesome with injection.

Example 1. A local guy purchased a new toilet for his Camaro 505 if I remember correct, it was slower then his gas carb by a ton and wouldnt come up on the converter. The local "guru" for injection couldnt figure this one out after months of not success figuring this out and spending money. Everyone told him it wasnt the toilet, I told him different and gave him Scoobys phone # within the next few times out it was fixed, fastest the car had ever ran and it was backing up #s all day and night. He was MORE then pleased with the help, and thanks me everytime I see him.

It was a bit beyond my knowledge to help him at the time, but now have a better idea what went wrong. Welcome to the forum Steve !
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
scooby389b
APPRENTICE

Oh Dave! lol thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM
pintoracer
APPRENTICE

by poppet do you mean the spring behind the pill you have to excuse me as i am dumb
Old 01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
scooby389b
APPRENTICE

no its in return line fitting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -